Mobile Equipment Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger_Andy

New User
I've got a bit of an interesting question for ya'll.

I'm currently working on a pretty large job out in Seattle and have run into a bit of a sticky situation. The customer has a large tracked excavator on site that is being used to unload barges. It's a 1000A behemoth that they currently have running off of a rented diesel generator. To get it up and running, they installed generator cables with cam-loks to power the excavator, 5 parallel sets of 4/0 A,B,C and ground.

The issue is that I need to bring this thing up to code for a permanent installation. I've got the line side of the disconnect all sorted out at this point, and am feeding the disconnect with 3 parallel sets of 500's. Off of the disconnect I'm planning on installing a tap block with cam-lok recepts so they can easily disconnect and service the equipment. Where I'm running into trouble is finding a conductor that I can install cam-loks on, pull into an above ground conduit rack, and then free air over to the terminal blocks on the excavator.

The only option I'm finding that would be suitable is a PVC jacketed tray cable, but as I'm looking at different cable manufacturers, I'm only finding multi-conductor assemblies that won't accommodate the cam-loks I need to install on the individual conductors.

Someone please help me out before I lose my mind on this one!

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Look for cable designed for cranes & hoists. Or maybe electromagnetic cranes. Or mining cables. Or any use you can imagine where the cables have to flex constantly.

How 'bout cables for elevators?

How is this thing working? Does the excavator carry the generator on its back? Or is it tethered to a fixed generator??

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
have you considered locomotive cable?

incidentally, I looked into this once before and I am reasonable sure that not all the camlok connectors are listed for use with flexible conductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.