Overhead wiring from main house to accessory building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
What is the typical method for running a line from one structure to another? I have had no exposure to this scenario and was wondering if any of you have or do so regularly.

The HO right now has a 10-3 romex strung from one building to the next. Runs out of the bottom of the panel up to the POCO POA and across to the out building.

TIA

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I usually use aluminum tri-plex or quad-plex, with wedge grips in eye-bolts, and AL-rated split bolts, joining wires through a weather-head from an interior J-box.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Exterior panel -> Flex up to -> WP j-box <- Quadplex -> WP j-box <- interior wiring. Sound right?

What do you use to seal your openings?

kwired

Electron manager
Aerial triplex looks professionsal, code compliant installation could be a messenger cable with any acceptable outdoor wiring method (NM is not acceptable, UF is) supported by the messenger wire.

You can't use the service point of attachment for this or even a separate POA on a conduit used as service mast.

OK after looking through Art 230 part II you might be able to use service POA (not finding anything prohibiting that) but definitely can not use a mast type service to support anything other than the service drop - 230.28

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
It gets interesting when you need a three phase 5 wire aerial feeder. I guess one could twist a 4th insulated conductor around quad. Anyone ever done this?

I’ve wondered this also. Or is there a quad made specifically with an identified neutral?
Do manufacturers of overhead need to catch up to the code requirements?

kwired

Electron manager
I’ve wondered this also. Or is there a quad made specifically with an identified neutral?
Do manufacturers of overhead need to catch up to the code requirements?

Quad has a rib on one of the insulated conductors. Probably somewhat originally more for identifying high leg when applying to service conductor for those systems but also comes in handy for identifying neutral in 120/240 four wire applications.

This assembly is mostly designed for utility companies, NEC doesn't really cover it anywhere in art 310 for types of conductors allowed. Seems to be acceptable to most AHJ's when it is used for a outdoor feeder or branch circuit though.

This assembly is mostly designed for utility companies, NEC doesn't really cover it anywhere in art 310 for types of conductors allowed. Seems to be acceptable to most AHJ's when it is used for a outdoor feeder or branch circuit though.

IF you look at 310.10(C)(3), apparently conductors for wet locations do not necessarily have to be article 310 conductors, they just have to be "of a type listed for use in wet locations."

I looked up some specs and found this regarding triplex/quad. Doesnt seem to quite make it listed....:huh:

ASTM B-230: Aluminum 1350-H19 wire for electrical purposes.
ASTM B-231: Concentric lay stranded aluminum 1350 conductors.
ICEA S-76-474: Neutral supported power cable assemblies with weather resistant extruded insulation rated at 600V.

kwired

Electron manager
yes Quad, and make sure you get a listed type. POCO quad is covered, not insulated or listed.
I don't doubt there is listed product out there. I'd bet many places don't have it unless inspectors in the area are rejecting it. Then it becomes something that won't sell unless they have a lot of POCO's purchasing it or others that aren't subject to the inspectors rejecting it.

When I first started in the trade we ran a lot of URD, none of it was the dual rated stuff we find now. Then at some point the inspectors caught on that you can only use that outdoors and started rejecting any that was used to enter a building. Demand for dual rating went up, and now many sizes are available in dual rating from local suppliers.some sizes still are USE only, but those seem to be more commonly used for outdoor only applications.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Strain insulator and #10 uf (self supporting) or did the code change to "save just one life"?

Status
Not open for further replies.