Snap Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What is a snap switch?

Thanks, I’ll take the answer off the air.

A switch whose contacts move independent of the speed the handle is operated at. think of an over the center toggle mechanism with springs, where you can't tease the contacts.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Are you are looking at motor disconnects in article 430? If so, I think a snap switch basically refers to a standard 15A or 20A light switch.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I believe it's any switch that operates by the movement of a handle that operates a spring and rocker mechanism to change the position of the contacts.

Examples of switches that are not snap switches are knife switches, rotary switches and many push button switches.

-Hal

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Snap switch vs knife switch, ?

A knife switch is like the ones Dr. Fronkonsteen has on his control panel-- a large handle, and 2 (or more) metal bars that the handle moves to complete or break a circuit. You can also 'tease' the contact-- not quite breaking the connection, or not quite making the connection. Makes for lots of sparks and arcs!

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
A knife switch is like the ones Dr. Fronkonsteen has on his control panel-- a large handle, and 2 (or more) metal bars that the handle moves to complete or break a circuit. You can also 'tease' the contact-- not quite breaking the connection, or not quite making the connection. Makes for lots of sparks and arcs!

That's why I said it.
knife switch was "the" switch until snap switch was invented.

Status
Not open for further replies.