LED disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Installing drop in 2X4 LED's There is no fluorescent bulbs or ballast, I assume I do not need the disconnects, is this correct?

dpcarls1598

Master Electrician
Occupation
Master Electrician
Don’t have a code book handy but I think somewhere in 410 it states something very specific like fluorescent luminaires with double-ended lamps and ballasts must have a disconnecting means... I just spoke with an inspector last year about his same thing prior to swapping out 1,300+ fixtures to LED.
Although he agrees that this does not indicate LEDs in any way, I still added them since some of the fixtures I’ve used before had them. They aren’t cheap (for the good ones) but cheaper than going back and adding them later. I’m all for ease of future servicing too.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
The new LED fixtures I am installing are flat panel, the make up box is very limited on space, Its going to be tight with just with the #12 conductors entering and made up, there are no serviceable parts on these lights.

kwired

Electron manager
in 2014 NEC (guessing it is fairly unchanged afterwards) the requirements for the disconnecting means is in 410 part XII - which that entire part applies to electric discharge lighting 1000 volts or less. LED lighting is not electric discharge lighting, any other similar characteristics of the luminaires or other details such as double ended lamps is irrelevant to applying that section.

Status
Not open for further replies.