Unit heater above suspended ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle126

this job is in Massachusetts, my customer has a vestibule in a commercial building. The entrance when you enter will be heated. There will be a water filled fire protection system above the ceiling and there afraid if the heater below shuts down they need to protect the piping from freezing. They have asked me to install an electric heater above the ceiling on a thermostat to protect freezing. Is this legal? Is there a particular heater that can be used? Thank You

synchro

Occupation
EE
this job is in Massachusetts, my customer has a vestibule in a commercial building. The entrance when you enter will be heated. There will be a water filled fire protection system above the ceiling and there afraid if the heater below shuts down they need to protect the piping from freezing. They have asked me to install an electric heater above the ceiling on a thermostat to protect freezing. Is this legal? Is there a particular heater that can be used? Thank You

Have you considered using heat tracing on the pipes as described at the link below?

https://www.qrfs.com/blog/157-heat-tracing-fire-sprinkler-systems-when-where-and-how/

kwired

Electron manager
Not saying there isn't any concern for those pipes to freeze, but it will stay above freezing above the ceiling much longer than it will near the floor, so something to consider along with how long one may expect the heat to be down before it is serviced.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe there is any reason that a heater could not be installed above the ceiling as long as it is not utilizing a rubber cord.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Not saying there isn't any concern for those pipes to freeze, but it will stay above freezing above the ceiling much longer than it will near the floor, so something to consider along with how long one may expect the heat to be down before it is serviced.

Possibly, but it could go the other way too, just depending on what they have for insulation and where its at.

I've seen pipes freeze above the ceiling while the space below is still 70 degrees. Caused by insulation between the joists starting to fall down.

Then the ceiling tiles do a better job of insulating than the insulation does.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't believe there is any reason that a heater could not be installed above the ceiling as long as it is not utilizing a rubber cord.

Why? Many times cord will be prohibited because it can't be used as permanent wiring of a structure, but if it is a situation where otherwise allowed to be used it can not pass through the suspended ceiling or any other building partitions for that matter. More likely to run into this with a unit that has factory cord and plug already on it, but one may need to dig deeper to see if this appliance can even be installed in such space in it's own listing and instructions, but if so keep the receptacle in same space the unit is mounted and you should be fine.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Because.... LOL

400.12 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in
400.10, flexible cables, flexible cord sets, and power supply
cords shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings,
suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
Exception to (4): Flexible cord and flexible cable shall be permitted to be
attached to building surfaces in accordance with 368.56(B) .
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located
above suspended or dropped ceilings

Exception to (5): Flexible cord and flexible cable shall be permitted if
contained within an enclosure for use in Other Spaces Used for Environmental
Air as permitted by 300.22(C)(3).
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted
in this Code
(7) Where subject to physical damage

Status
Not open for further replies.