SOOW cable in the attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobrien

I have a 50a 240v circuit that needs to be run from one side of a house to the opposite corner and had planned on using a 6/4 SOOW cable to run thru the attic. I was going to use pipe to protect it where it runs down to the GFCI breaker panel that will be located on the side of the house. I have been doing a little research and read that this is a code violation. I don't know if I agree with what I read but also want to do it properly. I have been considering running flex and #6 wire but my dryer isn't run in flex and I'm wondering is this really a code violation.

You can start with Art. 400.8 Uses not permitted- "(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure" but the proposed install hits a few of the others, too.

If you can't run an appropriate size of NM cable, look to MC or AC cables.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have a 50a 240v circuit that needs to be run from one side of a house to the opposite corner and had planned on using a 6/4 SOOW cable to run thru the attic. I was going to use pipe to protect it where it runs down to the GFCI breaker panel that will be located on the side of the house. I have been doing a little research and read that this is a code violation. I don't know if I agree with what I read but also want to do it properly. I have been considering running flex and #6 wire but my dryer isn't run in flex and I'm wondering is this really a code violation.

Absolutely NOT!

-Hal

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The reason for not using portable cord is it can dry out and crack due to age or heat. Its allowed where its visible after installation with one exception for industrial locations

Status
Not open for further replies.