Outlets - Commercial Kitchen Backsplash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradatm

New User
Another odd electrical question. We added a tile backsplash in the commercial kitchen. There are outlets there and we just put some spacers behind the outlet screws like normal. This makes it flush with the tile.

The electrician who did the original work said he needs to come in now and I think he said "arc extender" or something like that. Best I can tell is he wants to add a metal box extender so the box is now flush with the tile? He said it is code.

I've never heard of it before and I haven't seen it in any code requirement. Can we just use the spacers or do we have to do his plan which would mean trimming numerous tiles?

Thanks for any help!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This question appears at first glance to be a simple question about code, but a deeper examination shows us that the work involved (reworking the receptacles after installing the tile) was done by a non-electrician, making this a question about DIY work by unlicensed personnel. I am therefore closing this thread with the admonition to avoid the performance of electrical work by unlicensed personnel, whether or not such work is permitted by local codes in your area.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the the flag icon at the lower right hand corner of the post

Status
Not open for further replies.