LVL (Laminated Veneer Lumber) Beam Code For Drilling Holes Through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

If you are ever working with LVL beams check the codes. I drilled 2 - 7/8" holes through a 3" X 10" LVL ridge beam in the incorrect area and the inspector failed the job. The holes were supposed to be drilled in the center 1/3 area of the 10" beam and I drilled them in the outer 1/3 area of the 10" beam.
Hopefully the structural engineer will sign off on it.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are ever working with LVL beams check the codes. I drilled 2 - 7/8" holes through a 3" X 10" LVL ridge beam in the incorrect area and the inspector failed the job. The holes were supposed to be drilled in the center 1/3 area of the 10" beam and I drilled them in the outer 1/3 area of the 10" beam.
can be an expesive mistake, bottom line never drill them, if it can't be avoided make sure someone else that is qualified to do so gives the blessing and tells you exactly where you can drill them.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
A Google search "drilling holes in LVL" brings up lots of results. Each manufacturer has their own PDF specificiations as to how big a hole and location etc.

growler

I think it's good of you to mention this as it may save someone else from making the same mistake (that can be expensive). I'm with Kwired in that I try not to drill beams if it can be avoided.

gar

Occupation
EE
181123-2011 EST

Ravwnvalor:

You need to take some classes in mechanical engineering. It is unfortunate that no one ever told you about beams and hole locations. The same theory applies for any type of materiql in a beam.

If you mechanically load a beam, then you produces forces within the beam that vary in magnitude that are a function of how the beam is supported, loaded, shaped, and other factors.

In a beam the greatest internal forces are at outer surfaces relative to the direction of bending, and zero at some midway point. Strength of materials are measured by force per unit area.

"I" beams exist because the greatest stress is at the outer surfaces, and the weight and material for a given structural capability can be minimized by putting the material at the outer surfaces.

If you drill holes near the edge of a bean, then you greatly weaken the beam.

Analysis of a beam has everthing to do with torque (moments). Drill holes in the center.

I don't think a mechanical engineer should OK what you have done. I don't know what you may be required to do to correct your mistake. It will greatly relate to the specfific structure.

Cut lumber beams are rectangles because this is the most economical approach. Steel "I" beams are easy to roll into a useful mechanical shape. Steel is hot rolled anyway so a special shape is no great problem.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Holes should also be avoided close to the ends of the beams because that's where the shear stress is maximum. The shear stress is concentrated near the neutral axis which is lengthwise across the beam and is halfway between its top and bottom. These comments assume uniform loading across a rectangular beam that's supported (but not constrained from rotating) at the ends.
The manufacturer's recommendations that limit how holes can be made will factor in all of the tension, compression, and shear forces to keep them from excessively compromising the beam. But it's good to consider what gar is saying to help guide you in deciding if, where, and how you should make any holes in a beam.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Attachments

• F1BA3C30-564E-4375-8004-E2764CA3DF1B.jpeg
    F1BA3C30-564E-4375-8004-E2764CA3DF1B.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 2

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Boring in the center also applies to joists carrying your floors. But don't drill the 'joist' if it's actually the bottom of a truss! Trusses don't like extra holes!

Ravenvalor

Thanks for all of the great advice (again). Fortunately the engineer signed off on my two holes. I will be cautious of beams in the future. I thought the only requirement was to keep the holes on the outer 1/3 edges of the room and stay away from the center of the room. Just learned an important lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.