Experiences with AFCI receptacles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I haven't yet used the AFCI receptacles, or the AFCI/GFCI receptacles that are available.

Anyone have any feedback or experience with how they function compared to a AFCI breaker?

GFCI breakers are good and reliable as far as AFCI and the trouble with constant tripping. My theory is when installed in panels and everyone wants it to look neat but wheel you stack them side by side they run hot and can’t dissipate heat which trips

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Seems they always wind up behind a book case or couch where either you can't get at them or don't know they exist. Another stupid idea from the manufacturers who only want to sell product.

Always better to use a breaker in the panel. At least people know where to look when they nuisance trip.

-Hal

synchro

Occupation
EE
One advantage of AFCI receptacles is that if one brand is found to be less prone to false tripping or other problems, then you can probably use it for all of your installations. You're not stuck with whatever the manufacturer of the panel that's installed has to offer for AFCI breakers. Of course finding the best AFCI receptacle is another thing -- asuming that there is one ;)

Obviously, if there are a lot of receptacles on the same circuit then the cost and labor of installing AFCI receptacles will likely exceed that of an AFCI breaker.

I used a few pass & Seymour combination receps and they were absolutely horrible - nuisance trip all the time. I took them out and moved them to a utility bathroom where I know they are not even used and Everytime I check they are tripped. DO NOT USE!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
You are only allowed to use the AFCI device under certain circumstances, ie mostly replacement of existing devices that are now required to be protected. Some will not fit into existing boxes which makes it a real PIA, but if it’s also on a MWBC, that’s life. We also use the dual function AFCI, GFCI. Just another option to work with.

kwired

Electron manager
Don't AFCI receptacles have to be used in combination with a special companion breaker in the panel or is that not necessary anymore?

-Hal

That is one option.

Other options include running a metallic raceways or AC/MC cable to the first outlet device on the circuit and then using an AFCI device at the first outlet. So unless you are adding a circuit to an old panel that there is no available AFCI or is really expensive to attain, it still probably best to just purchase the CAFCI especially if it is Eaton, Square D, Siemens or GE or any series any of those has taken over and is still available today.

Status
Not open for further replies.