Receptacle on Portable Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Leadership changes. Managers move on or retire. Whatever the present intent might be, I don't think we should rely on that to remain the intent. Rather, we need to make the present installation safe, and let the future revisions be guided by the codes in effect at that time.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Leadership changes. Managers move on or retire. Whatever the present intent might be, I don't think we should rely on that to remain the intent. Rather, we need to make the present installation safe, and let the future revisions be guided by the codes in effect at that time.

The electrical contractor needs place an permanently mounted engraved plaque. "Remember to unplug the desk before moving". ;)

growler

again, does it say somewhere in the code that conduit and flex conduit can not be used to wire a receptacle mounted to a desk?
Does it state in the code you can't mount a hardware receptacle to a desk?

I don't think you will find it written that way. A lot of the code is subject to interpretation by the AHJ.

I can't imagine a portable desk receptacle connected via flex conduit not being exposed to physical damage. If someone were to move the desk it could easily damage the flex conduit and the conductors protected by the flex conduit.

I think it's probably a gray enough area where some inspectors would allow it and others would say nooooo-way.

As Charlie brought up in his comments it's hard to find a code that specifically prohibits this installation but there are a number of codes that would lead you to believe it's a bad idea.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I'd suspect the position of the desks is only permanent until the next sales manager moves in and wants to park the cars where the desks are, and vice-versa.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Working on a car dealership. Owner wants desks with receptacles on them. These desks are located in the middle of the show rooms, not close to any wall. Debate we are having though:

Do the receptacles have to be cord and plug, or can they run a conduit up through the floor, couple on flex conduit and hardwire the receptacle on the desk?

Owner would like the hardwire option as they believe it would be less expensive than installing a floor box with a receptacle.

Furthermore, I don't know why you are even having this discussion with the owner. You are an engineer and I don't know what your involvement is in this. You aren't doing the work. Let a qualified EC tell him how it will be done.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Bottom line is that desks are furniture, and shouldn't be hard-wired, in my opinion, unless fastened in place like built-in bookcases.

kwired

Electron manager
Bottom line is that desks are furniture, and shouldn't be hard-wired, in my opinion, unless fastened in place like built-in bookcases.

But yet there are some items that simply by their weight or other factors don't really need to be "fastened in place".

Then there are items that don't easily move, are fastened anyway, yet mother nature still finds ways to move them, or that truck that for whatever reason ran off the road crashes into it and moves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.