EVSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc1060

I live in a condominium. I have been helping the HOA with the process of installing infrastructure to support evse. We are getting close to the point of applying for permits and starting work. We have followed all local codes including a study as per 220.87. We have a resident who plugs in a PHEVs into an existing 120V receptacle. This receptacle was never intended for what is currently being used for. I know this violates 625.40 but are there other NEC requirements that I am missing? I am expecting the local AHJ will have something to say and want to prepare the HOA for this.

mjc1060

The 120V receptacle that is being used to charge the PHEV was installed for a cctv camera. This was done without an electrical permit. We are looking to have all the electrical infrastructure ( and this includes the panel board where this resident is receiving its supply) metered as per 220.87 Determing existing load). This is to help identify how much capacity the system has for installing evse as per NEC. . So this resident is trying to use a phrase that installation is grandfathered in because it already exists. My question is does the NEC allow the resident to use this receptacle if it was installed incorrectly in the first place. The AHJ will be on site for electrical inspections.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Aside from the fact that he's stealing power, I see no violation.

The HOA is in for a shock when all the "me toos" line up demanding chargers and they have to install a 2000A service to supply them all and the POCO won't allow it. What are you going to do when the prediction that chargers in the future will require 1000A or more comes true because it takes too long to charge an EV even at 100A.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even want to get involved with multi-unit EV charging retrofits. I also think that HOAs, like most HOAs, are too naive to understand the can of worms they are opening.

-Hal

mlnk

You need to find other HOAs who have completed charging stations. How many stations do you need? Did they put in too few, or too many? Then you need to talk to some contractors to see what are their ideas for the installation. Then you need to have plans drawn by an architect, or draftsman, or electrical engineer. Then make sure the AHJ likes your plan. Then get some bids from contractors.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
This receptacle was never intended for what is currently being used for..

So what.

Plugging in a laptop or cell phone charger to an outlet installed before circa 1975 is also an 'unintended' use. May violate some HOA clause though?

As others have said, big "can'o'worms" that likely requires changes to HOA bylaws, etc (e.g the metering mentioned) . Here come the lawyers :ashamed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.