Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GFCI protection in Dishwashers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    GFCI protection in Dishwashers

    Why does UL require that dishwashers have internal GFCI protection?

    #2
    Where are you finding that requirement? I thought that the NEC added the GFCI requirement for dishwasher circuits due to end of life issues with them where they became hazardous.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by infinity View Post
      Where are you finding that requirement? I thought that the NEC added the GFCI requirement for dishwasher circuits due to end of life issues with them where they became hazardous.
      My understanding (if I have it right) is that UL now requires GFCI protection installed within the dishwasher itself.

      Comment


        #4
        Only reason I can see is like with other items that require it: So they cannot be used without it. Maybe a dumb answer.
        Master Electrician
        Electrical Contractor
        Richmond, VA

        Comment


          #5
          Me thinks litigation around all the end-of-life fires. Not dumb at all btw.

          Comment


            #6
            I think it was Whirlpool? Years ago had issues with the heating element penetration leaking water that dripped on some connections causing fires. The recall fix was to ty wrap the wires up so it wouldn’t drip on the connections!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by hillbilly1 View Post
              I think it was Whirlpool? Years ago had issues with the heating element penetration leaking water that dripped on some connections causing fires. The recall fix was to ty wrap the wires up so it wouldn’t drip on the connections!
              Yup, across several of their brands.


              http://www.kitchenaidfire.com/p53.html

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
                Why does UL require that dishwashers have internal GFCI protection?
                Something they should have done long ago instead of NEC requiring GFCI protection.

                Won't matter pretty soon anyway, NEC has taken the GFCI thing too seriously and seems to want to extend it to everything now, whether there is any history of incidents occurring in a particular area or not, and also disregard whether the incidents that have occurred had other code issues that would have prevented the issue in had there not been any violations in the first place.
                I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                Comment

                Working...
                X