GFCI protection in Dishwashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Where are you finding that requirement? I thought that the NEC added the GFCI requirement for dishwasher circuits due to end of life issues with them where they became hazardous.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Where are you finding that requirement? I thought that the NEC added the GFCI requirement for dishwasher circuits due to end of life issues with them where they became hazardous.

My understanding (if I have it right) is that UL now requires GFCI protection installed within the dishwasher itself.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Only reason I can see is like with other items that require it: So they cannot be used without it. Maybe a dumb answer.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I think it was Whirlpool? Years ago had issues with the heating element penetration leaking water that dripped on some connections causing fires. The recall fix was to ty wrap the wires up so it wouldn’t drip on the connections! :lol:

kwired

Electron manager
Why does UL require that dishwashers have internal GFCI protection?

Something they should have done long ago instead of NEC requiring GFCI protection.

Won't matter pretty soon anyway, NEC has taken the GFCI thing too seriously and seems to want to extend it to everything now, whether there is any history of incidents occurring in a particular area or not, and also disregard whether the incidents that have occurred had other code issues that would have prevented the issue in had there not been any violations in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.