Generator low voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We helped move a small standby generator from one location to another. Air cooled 10 KW with auto transfer. Voltage is low, 110/106. We will load test it tomorrow and check details but can they be adjusted in the field? It says Carri...but we all know it’s a Gener.... It has the digital readout on the generator. I have the installation manual at the shop but IDK if it gives any of the specifics we may need.

Stebs

Evolution controller? Nexus controller? Or the one before that? Might verify fuel type selection. Evolution controller has to have fuel type set in the controller as well as the mechanical selector. Might check frequency on the output to make sure it’s at 60hz. If engine isn’t at proper rpm, frequency will be off. I had one small 8kw one time had an air bubble stuck in the regulator and wouldn’t burp itself, only produced like 40 volts. The original controller (not nexus or evolution) had an adjustable voltage regulator. Can’t remember on the nexus and evolution boards. But again, need to make sure it’s at proper rpm first.

Occupation
EC - retired
This has been running for years at the first location. Doesn’t mean it’s ever been right. I first saw it Tuesday.
We will load it up, check frequency, etc and see if I can find answers to the questions asked. Maybe we will find a dead mouse stuck in the throttle linkage.

Occupation
EC - retired
This has been running for years at the first location. Doesn’t mean it’s ever been right. I first saw it Tuesday.
We will load it up, check frequency, etc and see if I can find answers to the questions asked. Maybe we will find a dead mouse stuck in the throttle linkage.

Nothing wrong, other than that the radio equipment doesn't load it up enough. Hz is at 60 no load, then stays close enough to 60 when heaters are added. Voltage jumps up to 123. .

Status
Not open for further replies.