Is cost of breakers causing electricians to use less of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

Dual Function/AFCI/GFCI breakers are expensive. I'm wondering if an adverse affect of high breaker cost is that people are just loading circuits up with more outlets than they normally would? Im my market this is not really an issue but I could see in lower cost of living areas/more competitive markets this being an issue.

480sparky

I'm sure there's some cookie-cutter homes that are going to be suffering from Circuit Deficiency Syndrome. Especially when they're wired by Bare-Bones Electric, hired by Cut Corners Construction.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm sure there's some cookie-cutter homes that are going to be suffering from Circuit Deficiency Syndrome. Especially when they're wired by Bare-Bones Electric, hired by Cut Corners Construction.

Agree, and will say those homes were suffering from same disease before AFCI was required, the disease just got a little worse after those requirements came about.

kwired

Electron manager
Before AFCI's I generally ran all receptacle circuits on 20 amp circuits and lighting circuits on 15 amp circuits, still do and hasn't forced me to change much. I might put a few more receptacles on a circuit than I used to, particularly in living rooms, bedrooms and similar areas but that is about it.

More efficient lighting in recent years is also making it so there is more lighting outlets on one circuit than there maybe used to be.

I don't know why you would want a heavier load on your receptacles to dim your lights, and even worse effects with some the LED's these days, keep them off the general use outlet circuits as much as possible IMO.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yes

Before AFCIs I saw more circuits, now its just va per foot. My post AFCI home has bare bones circuits and I had to add more for thins like space heaters (we love electric fire places).

Status
Not open for further replies.