Ok to drill a hole in a trimmer, or jack stud ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
with large, long lvl headers like over garage doors, holding a lot of weight, is it ok to drill in the trimmer stud or jack studs that support the headers? I typically drill through window jacks but don't like to drill jacks for large headers. I need to ask local inspectors. Its also challenging sometimes to rough in coach lights on garages especially if the owner wants 3 coach lights, ie, one beside 2 overhead doors. Thanks for suggestions.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Are there any cripple studs above the header that you can drill through instead and still wire up your lights?
If so those studs would carry much lower distributed loads instead of the concentrated load at the jack studs.

retirede

Since the face of the jack stud is usually the door opening itself (wrapped in aluminum for a garage door opening) I’m having a hard time visualizing why it would need to be drilled.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm lost here as well. A jack or trimmer is what holds the header up in my carpentry lingo and that would mean you are drilling a hole in order to run a wire into the door space.

count me in on being lost as well.

If talking about drilling said members somewhere above the level of the header - they aren't supporting the header anymore at that level, weight bearing down on the header from each "stud" above it is no more weight than "normal" wall studs are supporting.

ritelec

I think it's drilling through it to drill through an interior stud which you can't get into to drill to get into that void... I'd say drill away

retirede

count me in on being lost as well.

If talking about drilling said members somewhere above the level of the header - they aren't supporting the header anymore at that level, weight bearing down on the header from each "stud" above it is no more weight than "normal" wall studs are supporting.

Those above the header are commonly called “cripples”.

retirede

I think it's drilling through it to drill through an interior stud which you can't get into to drill to get into that void... I'd say drill away

Good point - hadn’t considered that!

I agree, drill away. Since the jack is tight to the king, it’s plenty strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.