Shielded 600V Feeder Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breaker19

Does anyone have any information on why it would be advantageous to install shielded feeder cable to the incoming AC section on a VFD lineup vs non-shielded? Or if braided straps would stop harmonics from polluting up the line. I can understand using it for the load side of the VFD but do not understand, fully, for the line side prior the filter, which already contains an isolation transformer.
I just can't fathom the reasoning behind it, especially since 3c/750 w/g shld is around 80 dollars a foot. Then again I am not an engineer.
Thanks in advance.

Electric-Light

Does anyone have any information on why it would be advantageous to install shielded feeder cable to the incoming AC section on a VFD lineup vs non-shielded? Or if braided straps would stop harmonics from polluting up the line. I can understand using it for the load side of the VFD but do not understand, fully, for the line side prior the filter, which already contains an isolation transformer.
I just can't fathom the reasoning behind it, especially since 3c/750 w/g shld is around 80 dollars a foot. Then again I am not an engineer.
Thanks in advance.
Running the cables in grounded EMC already provides excellent shielding.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The idea behind shielding is to prevent the cables from becoming radio transmitting antennae. If you are laying them in tray, shielding is a must. If pulling them in grounded conduit, as Electric-Light said the conduit serves the same function. Pulling shielded cable inside of grounded conduit is a waste IMHO.

jdsmith

Jraef is correct. Two engineers from Belden and one from Rockwell wrote a paper about this that was presented at the 1999 IEEE PCIC conference. It's one of the best papers out there on VFD cabling - this feeder cable antenna effect is just one of a number of topics covered. They also discuss the life expectancy of various cable insulations under years of reflected wave voltage pulses - this is the only place I've seen any serious analysis on VFD cable life.

Status
Not open for further replies.