UL Listing Requirements on 12V LED Fixtures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UL Listing Requirements on 12V LED Fixtures

I am aware that there are UL listed under cabinet strips available, and that there is a listing for them. I have a great connection on getting flexible LED strips from a supplier that I've used a lot. The strips are 12V, but not UL listed. I've looked under Art 410, and I'm just not 100% that I'm interpreting the text correctly. So the question is, are 12V LED strip lights required to be UL listed to be installed legally according to the NEC?

You were in the wrong Article and yes you need listed LEDs

ARTICLE 411
    Lighting Systems Operating at
    30 Volts or Less

411.1 Scope. This article covers lighting systems operating
    at 30 volts or less and their associated components.

411.3 Listing Required. Lighting systems operating at
    30 volts or less shall comply with 411.3(A) or 411.3(B).

Comment

As Iwire stated - listed yes, but it does not have to be UL there are other NRTLs.

Listed. Equipment, materials, or services included in a list
      published by an organization that is acceptable to the authority
      having jurisdiction and concerned with evaluation
      of products or services, that maintains periodic inspection
      of production of listed equipment or materials or periodic
      evaluation of services, and whose listing states that either
      the equipment, material, or service meets appropriate designated
      standards or has been tested and found suitable for
      a specified purpose.
      [COLOR="blue"]"Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

110.3(B) also, IMO, requires listing
        They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
        She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
        I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
          How so? All that says if it is listed, we gotta follow instructions. Lotsa stuff we use does not require listing.

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
          shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
          included in the listing or labeling.

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

Interesting point jumper. So would it be the AHJ that would determine which NRTL are accepted, or would it be NEC that determines that? And, if it is the NEC that determines which NRTLs are acceptable, where would I find such information? I know that these LEDs that I'm referring to do have some testing certs... just have to go find out which ones, and if they're acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by billiards4me View Post
              Interesting point jumper. So would it be the AHJ that would determine which NRTL are accepted, or would it be NEC that determines that? And, if it is the NEC that determines which NRTLs are acceptable, where would I find such information? I know that these LEDs that I'm referring to do have some testing certs... just have to go find out which ones, and if they're acceptable.
              OSHA recognizes NRTL's and has a list of NRTL's that they recognize.

Chris

Comment

I disagree that 110.3(B) requires listing. 110.3(B) states that listed and labeled equipment must be installed in accordance with any instructions included in the listing and labeling. There is nothing in 110.3(B) that requires anything to be listed.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by raider1 View Post
                  I disagree that 110.3(B) requires listing. 110.3(B) states that listed and labeled equipment must be installed in accordance with any instructions included in the listing and labeling. There is nothing in 110.3(B) that requires anything to be listed.

Chris
                  Well I knew someone would argue that however- it states "listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with"....

I read it as listed equipment shall be installed and shall be used according...

Comment

Well I knew someone would argue that however- it states "listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with"....

I read it as listed equipment shall be installed and shall be used according...
                    I see your point, but that would mean everything we install or use would have to be listed for that specific purpose. No?

Derek[/COLOR]

Comment

We could argue it but I don't buy it either but NC , I believe , used that article as its argument.

410.6 states all luminaires and lampholders shall be listed as well as what Bob stated.

Comment

We could argue it but I don't buy it either but NC , I believe , used that article as its argument.

410.6 states all luminaires and lampholders shall be listed as well as what Bob stated.
                        Dennis, if 110.3(B) was in fact meant to require all equipment to be listed all of the .6 sections of the NEC that require listed equipment would be moot.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by raider1 View Post
                          Dennis, if 110.3(B) was in fact meant to require all equipment to be listed all of the .6 sections of the NEC that require listed equipment would be moot.

Chris
                          or redundant

Comment

or redundant
                            Exactly, that is my point.

110.3(B) is meant to clearly show that requirements that may not be in the NEC but are part of the listing instructions of listed equipment are required to be followed.

Chris

Comment

Well I knew someone would argue that however
                              Of course as it seems a very unusual position.

IMPO there is nothing in 110.3(B) that requires anything to be listed.

Comment

Working...
                              X