diesel fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm guessing you really meant to ask if the presence of diesel fuel makes a hazardous location?

Generally speaking diesel fuel has a high enough flash point temperature to not require hazardous location wiring methods.

So the wiring method used does not have to comply with any special requirements in the articles 500 - 516.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm guessing you really meant to ask if the presence of diesel fuel makes a hazardous location?

Generally speaking diesel fuel has a high enough flash point temperature to not require hazardous location wiring methods.

So the wiring method used does not have to comply with any special requirements in the articles 500 - 516.

Do you know this as fact, or is that just your opinion?
The requirement part, not the flash point part.

kwired

Electron manager
Do you know this as fact, or is that just your opinion?
The requirement part, not the flash point part.

Maybe I don't understand your question?

Read 500.1

If it does not introduce fire or explosion hazards, it is not a hazardous location.

Wiring methods in non hazardous locations are only limited by wiring methods and their applicable code sections and not art 500-516.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Maybe I don't understand your question?

Read 500.1

If it does not introduce fire or explosion hazards, it is not a hazardous location.

Wiring methods in non hazardous locations are only limited by wiring methods and their applicable code sections and not art 500-516.

I should have worded my question better.:slaphead:

I was asking (trying to anyway) if the code specifically named diesel fuel as non hazardous. I suppose because your post started off with "I'm guessing" I took it that maybe your answer was IYO.

I was asking because I didn't know.

kwired

Electron manager

I was asking (trying to anyway) if the code specifically named diesel fuel as non hazardous. I suppose because your post started off with "I'm guessing" I took it that maybe your answer was IYO.

I am very certain that areas where diesel is handled is not considered classified locations, what I don't have enough experience with is telling you where to find this information, but it is another NFPA publication besides the NEC.

north star

= & =

FWIW, ...NFPA 30, `12 Edition is the same as 514.3(A), `08 NEC.
Also, what type of diesel, ...No. 1, ...No. 2, ...low sulfur, ...high sulfur,
lots of variables to looking for the right MSDS.

Here is one link to an online MSDS web site......You can choose
from the manufacturer of your choice:
= = = > http://www.msds.com/

& = &

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member

The code doesn't work that way. What you should ask is does the code classify diesel fuel as a Class 1 Flammable Liquid. Diesel fuel has a flash point (The temperature at which the liquid produces flammable vapors) of around 120 degrees F. Therefore Diesel fuel is not a Class 1 liquid and the handling and dispensing of this material is typically not classified.

Chris

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Diesel Fuel is not a Class 1 Flammable liquid.
The flash point of diesel fuel is above 100 degrees F.

Chris

...what if it is a multi-port fuel pump where unleaded gas is also dispensed? What if diesel is dispensed within the hazardous location boundaries of an unleaded gas pump? The OP needs to clearly state all the variables because it could drastically change the install and be costly, aside from the other obvious hazards. JMO

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
...what if it is a multi-port fuel pump where unleaded gas is also dispensed? What if diesel is dispensed within the hazardous location boundaries of an unleaded gas pump? The OP needs to clearly state all the variables because it could drastically change the install and be costly, aside from the other obvious hazards. JMO

The presence of other flammable liquids does change things. The classified areas are based on the locations of those liquids not the diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.