Safety shower with switch located within 6 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

badboyizda1

I work for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory/NASA which is very strict in all rules, regulations and codes. We have to follow Federal regulation, Cal OSHA, OSHA and JPL rules. I need to install a safety shower in a lab but with no space it might have to be located approxamity 5 feet from a light(sorry luminaire) switch. I talked with my instructor from college briefly but he did not recall any article in the code that has a specified distance. He informed me that he used the rule that if you can have your foot in the shower and reach the switch it's to close. Well here at JPL I need something in writing stating I CAN install the shower. Guilty until proven INNOCENT.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I work for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory/NASA which is very strict in all rules, regulations and codes. We have to follow Federal regulation, Cal OSHA, OSHA and JPL rules. I need to install a safety shower in a lab but with no space it might have to be located approxamity 5 feet from a light(sorry luminaire) switch. I talked with my instructor from college briefly but he did not recall any article in the code that has a specified distance. He informed me that he used the rule that if you can have your foot in the shower and reach the switch it's to close. Well here at JPL I need something in writing stating I CAN install the shower. Guilty until proven INNOCENT.
For the most part, the code does not work the way you want it to. It often prescribes you from doing certain things like this but rarely gives you permission to do something like this.

I do not recall any prohibition on where light switches are located in a lab area, or for that matter near a shower.

In any case, a safety shower is only used under emergency conditions.

I just do not see a problem.

marti smith

This may help:

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations.

(A) Surface-Mounted Switch or Circuit Breaker. A surface-mounted switch or circuit breaker shall be enclosed in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall comply with 312.2. See related UL

(B) Flush-Mounted Switch or Circuit Breaker. A flush-mounted switch or circuit breaker shall be equipped with a weatherproof cover.

(C) Switches in Tub or Shower Spaces. Switches shall not be installed within tubs or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.
And the commentary:
This section was rewritten for the 2011 Code to improve usability. For most wet locations, surface-mounted switches or circuit breakers must be installed in a weatherproof enclosure. Flush-mounted switches or circuit breakers must have a weatherproof cover. However, in tub and shower spaces, switches must not be installed, unless part of a listed tub or shower assembly. Such an assembly will provide adequate protection from exposure to energized parts

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This may help:

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations.

(A) Surface-Mounted Switch or Circuit Breaker. A surface-mounted switch or circuit breaker shall be enclosed in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall comply with 312.2. See related UL

(B) Flush-Mounted Switch or Circuit Breaker. A flush-mounted switch or circuit breaker shall be equipped with a weatherproof cover.

(C) Switches in Tub or Shower Spaces. Switches shall not be installed within tubs or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.
And the commentary:
This section was rewritten for the 2011 Code to improve usability. For most wet locations, surface-mounted switches or circuit breakers must be installed in a weatherproof enclosure. Flush-mounted switches or circuit breakers must have a weatherproof cover. However, in tub and shower spaces, switches must not be installed, unless part of a listed tub or shower assembly. Such an assembly will provide adequate protection from exposure to energized parts

If the lab was considered a damp or wet area these provisions would already be in place.

I don't see how a safety shower that will likely never be used makes an area wet or damp.

WorkSafe

Install them IAW ANSI Z358.1 or ISEA Z358.1 and you will be fine unless the JPL has it's own requirements for them.

If they have a problem with it, and they think they are the "know it all," ask them to provide you the reference. Turn it back around on them.

I deal with a lot of those types here on Air Force bases too. They always want something in writing, so when they say that, I take out my notepad and write it down for them.

We have installed dozens of these things here and never had a problem with them being near "switches." We do however, require 120v receptacles within a few feet of them (showers) be GFCI protected though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.