Class 2 Division 1 Sealing putty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that in 502.15 the informational note lists sealing putty as a method of sealing. Does anyone know of a fitting that will allow you to use that as a means of sealing? All the cut sheets for seals only list the product that they sell as an acceptable means...

Can I use a dust tight condulet and utilize the sealing putty to create a permanent and effective seal? And yes, I know that sealing putty isnt permanent but the code isnt really clear.

Thanks for your help!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I?m going to offer the Webster?s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition definition for permanent: continuing or enduring without fundamental or marked change : stable

[NOTE: Webster?s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition is the standard dictionary for "non-NFPA" formal definitions and the basis for the definitions in the link provided.]

Within the context of the OP (Section 502.15 IN) you can pack ?sealing putty? in any raceway system leading to a dust-ignitionproof enclosure as compliant with 502.15 (1). Note that there is no distinction between Division 1 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.