Powder protection for Class 1, Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonen

In a pilot near Calgary, Canada I need to install 3 small, electronic dosing pumps, i.e. Grundfos DDC, DMS, etc.
The pumps will be located in a Class 1, Div 2 area.
I think this type of pumps can not be approved for this area, so I wonder if I can put them in a box and fill it with sand, therefore comply with the encapsulation protection method.
Can anyone advise on such solution?
* will any standard metal box will suffice?
* how much sand will I need? what are the margins between the pump and the box?
* will this form of installation will cause the pumps to heat?
* does CSA have any particular requirements regarding this form of installation/protection?

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not familiar with CSA requirements for such things.

I think these are electronically commutated so no brushes. They might be suitable for a C1D2 area in the US.

A DIY encapsulation is probably not going to be acceptable.

Maybe you could come up with some kind of purging/pressurization scheme that would work.

Part of the problem might be some of the auxiliary features like the level switch that is common with this type of pump.

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
petersonra made a good summary. To make a few slightly speculative comments definite:

• Sand is not a recognized encapsulation medium under either the NEC or the CEC.
  • Brushless, electronically commutated motors would be suitable for Division 2 in the NEC.
  • Under the CEC, the entire assembly must be certified and marked by a CSA recognized agency, but no specific certification for Division 2 is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.