Cable requirements for Class I Div 2 and Class 2 Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschlosser

Hello,

First a little background. My company designs lights and would like to get more involved in hazardous location luminaries. I want to understand the code, but also what makes sense from and end user perspective.

I am trying to verify and understand fully the cable requirements for products meeting class I and II div II areas. It is my understanding that product that includes an integrated cable needs to have one of the following:

1) any type of cable is acceptable if a conduit hub is included in the design for conduit mounting
2) type itc or pltc cable if used with cable trays
3) type itc-er or pltc-er cable

Is this correct? How are products typically preferred to be installed? Does one method make more sense than another? I'm sure there are code details that I am missing beyond if the product can be made one way or another.

Thanks in advance

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Light fixtures (aka luminaires) are required to be listed, whether they are in a classified area or not.

Your best bet is to start with the UL requirements for such fixtures.

bschlosser

Hello,

Sorry for any confusion. Our products are Listed for use in the US and Canada under the standard for luminaries and hazardous locations. My question is more for end use than for agency compliance. There are cases where one can comply with code or an agency but in reality the end customer does not want or need that type of feature. In this case I am curious how end users in this forum actually want a light to be connected.

Is there an advantage to using a TC-ER cable over a TC cable? Does ITC or PLTC matter? Or does no one care since the prefered method is locate the cables in conduit? Are there preferences for Class 1 vs Class 2 vs Class 3? That type of thing.

Thanks
Bob

bschlosser

Sorry for the late reply. I came back to check this thread and my original post was not here. I must not have hit submit.

To address your point, our products will be NRTL listed under luminaries and hazardous location standards. My questions are more in line with what do end users need/want as compared to what is allowed by agencies or code. It's a case of just because we can do something it doesn't mean it meets a customers need.

This discussion is coming from a point where I want to offer one option with a conduit fitting and lead wires and one option with an integral cable. The question on the cable is what is driving my question.

Does it matter if it is TC vs TC-ER rated? What about ITC vs PLTC? It is my understanding that we can have a LED light in this case mounted in a Div 2 location and run the integral cable directly from the light to a junction box or enclosure for power.

One other question related to this is we can find cable rated to Class I Div 2 but not Class II Div 2. Am I correct that there is no such thing as Class II Div 2 rated cable since the NEC allows the use of various cables (like TC) as long as it is installed per code with the correct spacings to prevent dust buildup?

Thanks
Bob

greenspark1

I typically run conduit to a hazardous light fixture. Even if you supplied a wire whip with the fixture, I'd need a sealing fitting to connect to it. I don't see much/any advantage of having the light come with a whip, but am all ears if you think there is one.

Status
Not open for further replies.