Type TC-ER-HL Cable--Is 1" OD the limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David.Cook

Hello,

I would like to use TC-ER-HL cable to wire an instrument. I found one vendor who has it, but it's limited to diameters under an inch, which doesn't give me as many conductors as I would like. Is it possible to obtain EC-ER-HL cable with > 1" OD? Is EC-ER-HL limited to 1" by the standard?

Thanks,

David

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This is embarrassingly interesting. I was totally unaware there even was a "TC-ER-HL." I was the "father" of "-HL" and an "uncle" for"-ER". I was an original commenter for UL Standard 2225. Originally "-HL" essentially implied "...a gas/vaportight continuous corrugated metallic sheath, [with] an overall jacket of suitable polymeric material...". Apparently, a served wire armor is also recognized for Zone classified locations. That is the ISA influence creeping in.

Apparently, the extended version ("-ER-HL") was added to UL 2225 but isn't specifically recognized in the NEC. I note the UL Standard identifies its intended use to "tray cable for use in hazardous (classified) locations, Class I, Zone 1, Groups IIA, IIB, and IIC in accordance with the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70." Since it is still Type TC, the NEC would extend its use to "regular" NEC Article 316 applications as well as to Class I, Zone 2 and Class I, Division 2, but NOT Division 1.

There is no UL or NEMA restriction to 1" O.D." However, it isn't likely there is a large enough market for it, so the manufactures probably would limit it to special orders.

zzippo

1" OD is the limit!

1" OD is the limit!

"Type TC-ER-HL cable is rated for 600 V nominal. Overall cable diameters are 25 mm (1 inch) or less. At least one copper equipment grounding conductor is provided and it is sized in accordance with the grounding conductor tables in Section 8 of ANSI/UL 1277, "Electrical Power and Control Tray Cables with Optional Optical-Fiber Members."

can be found at:

http://productspec.ul.com/document.php?id=PJPP.GuideInfo

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I appreciate the link to http://productspec.ul.com/document.p...PJPP.GuideInfo.

I note TC-ER-HL is intended, "...for use in Class I, Zone 1, Groups IIA, IIB and IIC hazardous (classified) locations in accordance with the NEC" even though the Section Subtitle is Guide Information for Equipment for Use in and Relating to Class I, II and III, Division 1 and 2 Hazardous Locations.

Again. since it is Type TC-ER it can also be used in Class I, Division 2 where suitable for the use; it cannot be used in Class I, Division 1, but I suspect that is only a matter of time.

zzippo

maybe it is because of my bad english knowledge, but if I understand correctly, you can use TC-ER-HL cables in Cl. I Div.1 enviroment for flexible Connections.
please correct me if I am wrong, because I am just planning to use this cable for an industrial mixer with a liftable lid.

The 2014 NEC, Article 510.10 says:

(2) Flexible Connections
where necessary to employ flexible Connection, as at Motor terminals, the following shall be permitted:
(1) Flexible fittings listed for the location, or
(2) Flexible cord in accordance with the provisions of 501.140,
terminated with cord connectors listed for the location, or(3) In industrial establishments with restricted public access, where the
conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified
persons service the installation, for applications limited to 600 volts,
nominal, or less, and where protected from damage by location or a
suitable guard, listed Type TC-ER-HL cable with an overall jacket and a
separate equipment grounding conductor(s) in accordance with 250.122
that is terminated with fittings listed for the Location.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Your English and understanding is fine. TC-ER-HL is acceptable as described; it just isn't an acceptable general wiring method in Division 1 - but I suspect it will be eventually.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I believe there are better choices for your application. See Section 501.140 for applications using "extra-hard usage" cords as referenced on 501.10(A)(2)(2). See Table 400.4 for suitable cords.

Please note, if your equipment is to be installed in the U.S. or a U.S. controlled foreign location, the 2014 NEC has not been adopted in all jurisdictions.

zzippo

Bob,

thank you so much for the answer, I will check if this type will be suitable for my application. I am aware of the different adaptions of the NEC, but I did not find
any table where I can check which State uses which Version of the NEC. Is there any overview available?
My current project will be installed first Quarter 2016 in Salt Lake City, Utah.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Try this: http://www.mikeholt.com/necadoptionlist.php. I believe it's accurate.

Most "extra-hard usage" cords are still more flexible than common Type TC. I haven't had direct experience with Type TC-ER-HL but I can't imagine it isn't fairly stiff. It should be fine for short motor runs, but the degree of flexibility you would seem to need might be a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.