Non-Classified MCC in a Class 1 Div 2 Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJLH

Long story short:
I have been given a project from a client where another EPCM firm built this plant. I need to change two FVNR starters and replace with thermal overload breakers. During a site visit I noticed the process inside the building where the MCC resides was handling flammable liquids. According to API Figure 53 a building is Class 1 Div 2 within the limits of the enclosure, that has pumps that handle flammable liquids. The two starters I'am replacing will be used to power two immersion heaters. The previous starters were being used for two motors that are out of service. I will be using the existing 480 run(s) that used to power the motors, to power the two new heaters. No area classification drawing was completed by the original EPCM firm.

What kind on liability Am I taking on here, with this project? Is there a way do do this kind work safe without jeopardizing my electricians? Can someone point me in a direction to do this work correctly?

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
No matter what you do, if something goes badly wrong the lawyers will be coming to you if you were involved. That is why you have liability insurance.

As for being safe for your workers, as long as you are following safe work practices, I don't see any unusual issues as far as electrocution or arc flash. The power will have to be off.

I don't know what to tell you about whether it is properly classified or not. If there was never a drawing that showed this, maybe the use changed after it was built and no one bothered to make up a drawing.

Most places I have been in that handle flammable liquids inside of a building have walls and doors that section off the MCC and other similar gear from the rest of the building. I never really thought much about it.

If it bothers you enough, decline the work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.