C1D1 vision system install

Status
Not open for further replies.

worxman

I am installing a vision system in a C1D1 robotic paint booth. The system consists of a camera and LED ring light that will be housed in a C1D1 XP enclosure. There is a large cable tray that comes in to the booth from the ceiling down to the area where the camera will be installed. My question are:

1. The cable tray just exits through a non-sealed opening in the ceiling of the booth, maybe 15 ft or so above where the painting occurs, is this OK due to the distance from the paint application?

2. Am I ok running conduit from the enclosure out through the opening, using a barrier seal and XP fitting on the exit side?

Trying to avoid cutting through the booth wall and running an extra 80 feet of conduit from the booth to my panel where the camera controller will reside (outside of the booth).

Thanks in advance for the help.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I've started working on this a half dozen times. We have a serious illness in the family and I keep getting called away.

1. By itself, there is no problem with the tray penetrating the top of the booth. The only effect is creating a Division 2 envelop with 3' radius in all directions around the opening. See [2014 NEC] Figures 516.3(D)(2) & 516.3(D)(4)(I) as examples; be sure to read the accompanying Sections too. The serious issue is the type of cables in the tray. They may or may not be acceptable in Division 1.
  2. With the route as described, the problem is there would be two boundaries to deal with. Division 1/Division 2 and Division 2/unclassified. A judicious routing could make one seal do double-duty. The seal must be within 10' of the Division 1/Division 2 boundary and NO unions, couplings, boxes, or other fittings (threaded joints) in the Division 2 location.

worxman

OK, so not really finding a good way to do this yet. The camera has a proprietary connector on each end, so here is what I am thinking about doing:

1. The camera will be housed in an XP C1D1 enclosure mounted in the booth
2. I will cut the camera cable on each end
3. I will use a TMCX fitting to get MC-HL multi conductor cable into the XP enclosure and splice it into the camera cable
4. I will run the MC-HL cable in the existing cable tray along with the robot cables (this tray exits through an open hole in the ceiling 15-20 ft above the spray area)
5. Once outside of the paint booth, I will use a junction box and a TMC fitting to bring the MC-HL cable into and will splice it back into the original camera cable and connector

Anyone see any problems with this? Routing conduit out of the booth would be a nightmare and using the cable gives me flexibility in adjusting the camera angle and position, which I will need.

Thanks

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
What's the construction of the camera's cable? If it's shielded, coax, twisted pair, etc... placing those signals on "regular" conductors could give you serious problems. Just lopping off the connectors and replacing the cables in between may not work. Talk to the camera manufacturer before you think about doing something like that.

SceneryDriver

worxman

So as far as I can tell, my only choice is running rigid conduit with a barrier from the XP camera enclosure out of the classified area? Rigid poses a big problem as we do not know the final location of the camera that will give us the correct field of view...any suggestions?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
So as far as I can tell, my only choice is running rigid conduit with a barrier from the XP camera enclosure out of the classified area? Rigid poses a big problem as we do not know the final location of the camera that will give us the correct field of view...any suggestions?
Do a temporary installation of the camera using flexible wiring while the facility is shut down (not classified anymore) to determine exactly where the camera will be mounted?

worxman

We are inspecting the robotic application of a coating on the underside of a vehicle as it comes down the line. I think I have it figured out now:

1. Seal within 18" of the enclosure
2. Flexible coupling of around 24" or so after seal
3. Rigid piping out of the booth

This will give me the adjustment I need. Sound correct?

worxman

One more question...Am I reading the code correctly in that it states the rigid conduit can not have any joints? I have about 20-30 ft of conduit run to get out and several bends.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.