Shocked by com ed line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I was recently working on the roof of a factory replacing a fixture and got shocked from the com ed line. It looks like it arced from the line into the fixture/conduit that my hands were on. It entered my left hand, went across my chest and exited my right forearm. It happened the beginning of April. I obviously lived, but i was thrown back (I think) and lost consciousness for an unknown period of time (I'm assuming short). I received 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my left hand with the exit wound being superficial. The fuse popped on the line which is probably what saved my life. This was in alsip, illinois. My question is whether the lines were too close to the rooftop? I think that it was the un insulated line on the highest part of the pole , and I'm guessing it to have been within 5 feet of the roof. It is a flat roof that can be walked on. I only have a 2008 Nec and chicago electrical code books. Please let me know which code would apply to this, and the minimum distance that the wires should have been please. I also have pictures once I figure out how to get them on here from my phone.

thanks again

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread in accordance with the forum rules:

Please understand that no discussions of the legal aspects of our profession are to be permitted. The reason is simple. The forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of our job-related tasks. But our members cannot carry out a free discussion of issues, problems, solutions, and interpretations, if we have a concern that the information we post might someday find its way into a courtroom. No information gathered from this web site shall be treated as being the opinion of an expert witness, and you do not have anyone's permission to present such information as evidence in any type of legal dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.