Clear distance requirement for equipment located on outside exterior walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Is there any clear distance requirement for equipment located on outside exterior walls near doors or any opening of classified building (Class I)? For some reason I thought I read somewhere to maintain 3ft away from the door? I just can?t find it anywhere in the code.

Thanks,

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Depending on what you mean by "equipment," 110.26 might be where to find what you seek.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Is there any clear distance requirement for equipment located on outside exterior walls near doors or any opening of classified building (Class I)? For some reason I thought I read somewhere to maintain 3ft away from the door? I just can?t find it anywhere in the code.

Thanks,

I have had that brain skip as well. If memory serves, the 3 foot rule is applicable specifically to spray applications. Take a look at 516. Different applications have different requirements. I strongly recommend that if you have to determine the classification and it is not specifically addressed in article 500 of the NEC, you get a copy of 497 and review it.

nhee2

The area classification drawing should define how fare beyond the doorway/opening the hazardous area extends. This could vary depending on the application and source of the classified area.

Status
Not open for further replies.