Mixing of Zone and Class Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2-Inc

For some time now, OSHA has accepted the UL version of the IEC-60079 series of standards for equipment approval in hazardous locations. Not all of the NRTL’s have accreditation from OSHA to use this standard yet.

We’re currently trying to decide what standard to have some equipment approved to. Currently the equipment has ATEX certifications, so the thought is to focus on IEC standards and the UL version of the standard thinking that this would be the best Bang for the Buck (i.e. more global approval to the IEC standards, and minor cost to implement the differences of the UL version).

My question is on the use, in the U.S.A., of equipment approved for "Zones", in areas that have already been installed under the Class and Division scheme.

I seem to remember reading that the NEC didn’t permit the mixing of equipment approved for Zones, with equipment approved for Class and Division.

Have I got this right, and if so, I’m assuming there’s a reference in the NEC that someone can point me to?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Read Section 501.5 carefully. Also recognize ATEX itself is meaningless; it is just another EU trade scheme to exclude US/NRTL products.

Status
Not open for further replies.