CSA ratings in USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtrevino

I have a Class II, Division 2 environment in which I am installing a bin vibrator. The motor is CSA rated for the environment, with the US subscript.

Is CSA rating for a hazardous environment acceptable in the United States, or does FM have to rate the equipment for the hazardous location in order to install it in the United States?

joshtrevino

Yes, CSA is a recognized NRTL whose scope of recognition includes both UL 1004 and UL 674.

Thanks.
If the CSA rating did not have the "US" subscript, would it still be okay for installation in the USA?

Are CSA and FM the only ratings allowed for hazardous location equipment rating in the USA?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Thanks.
If the CSA rating did not have the "US" subscript, would it still be okay for installation in the USA?

Are CSA and FM the only ratings allowed for hazardous location equipment rating in the USA?
UL is also a recognized NRTL for motors in hazardous locations. In fact, they actually write the product standard for listing motors.

CSA is only a NRTL when it appends "US" or "NRTL" to its logo.

I should note, that NO motor is actually required to be listed or labeled for Class II, Division 2; in fact, most suitable motors aren't. See the acceptable motor Types in Section 502.125(B).

Kobe85

UL is also a recognized NRTL for motors in hazardous locations. In fact, they actually write the product standard for listing motors.

CSA is only a NRTL when it appends "US" or "NRTL" to its logo.

I should note, that NO motor is actually required to be listed or labeled for Class II, Division 2; in fact, most suitable motors aren't. See the acceptable motor Types in Section 502.125(B).

yea we recently had this issue at our facility, we thought just having a CSA rated component was sufficient, but when the CSA inspector arrived and saw the component was not CSAus, we had to review the device further

Status
Not open for further replies.