Breather/Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe85

In a C1D2 area, we typically use NEMA4X junction boxes because they only contain terminal blocks. In these enclosures, we use NEMA4X breather/drains (no need for C1D2 rated breather/drains).

However, we always use C1D2 rated conduit breather/drains (i.e. Crouse-Hinds ECD 16/18). I've asked Crouse-Hinds if these breather/drains (or just conduit drains) could be of the non-hazardous type - really because alot of the conduit fittings (i.e. LB37) are not rated. Crouse-Hinds replied that hazardous drains were required.

Why would I have to be required to use a C1D2 rated drain in conduit if some of the conduit fittings themselves are not rated (i.e LB37)? If there is an explosion, it sure is going to blow the screw on cover of the LB37 well before it gets to the C1D2 drain.

Also, when CSA comes to inspect our skids for CSA C1D2 compliance (and apply a C1D2 overall cert for it), they do not even look at the breather/drains on the junction boxes or the drains in the conduit runs for their ratings.

Thanks for any help

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Are you sure the Type 4X breather/drains you're using aren't also explosionproof? Otherwise, they are high-tech "weep holes". It is also quite possible Crouse-Hinds simply doesn't make a non-explosionproof variety.

It may surprise you, for example, that all listed unions are explosionproof whether they need to be or not. There are alternate fittings, such as "Ericksons", but if they are listed as a unions they are explosionproof.

Kobe85

Are you sure the Type 4X breather/drains you're using aren't also explosionproof? Otherwise, they are high-tech "weep holes". It is also quite possible Crouse-Hinds simply doesn't make a non-explosionproof variety.

It may surprise you, for example, that all listed unions are explosionproof whether they need to be or not. There are alternate fittings, such as "Ericksons", but if they are listed as a unions they are explosionproof.

Thanks for the reply, but yea, the breather/drain (at enclosure) is type Ex e and NEMA 4X, but not C1D1. It is different than the conduit drains which like you said are C1D1 and C1D2 rated.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You do realize "Ex e" doesn't even mean anything in Art 505. It needs to be "AEx e" for US domestic use. [Section 505.9(C)(2)(3)] As I said, you have a high-tech "weep hole" but it's fine.

Kobe85

You do realize "Ex e" doesn't even mean anything in Art 505. It needs to be "AEx e" for US domestic use. [Section 505.9(C)(2)(3)] As I said, you have a high-tech "weep hole" but it's fine.

yup, since our Enclosure is NEMA 4X and our area is C1D2 we are using it for its NEMA 4X rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.