Solenoids installed in a Class I, Division 2 area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a project in progress that utilizes a large number of miniature pneumatic solenoids in a potentially hazardous area, if there were a leak of a flammable gas.
The enclosure/area has not been formally identified as a Class I Div. 2 area per NFPA 497 or otherwise.
The area is within a high purity piping system in a well ventilated enclosure, provided with "adequate protections against failure" (exhaust failure interlocks to turn off gas sources and turn off all power to the devices within the box). It is also provided with gas detection. The solenoids are pilots for SS diaphragm valves.

We are in the process of having the nearly completed systems evaluated to SEMI S6, a semiconductor equipment standard, by a third party contractor.
The standard primarily defines minimum exhaust rates based upon tracer gas testing to ensure a worst case toxic gas leak is captured, and also addresses flammable leaks.
It requires that leaks are considered as if the line were completely severed and the full capacity of the gas line leaks into the enclosure. It then requires that the tracer gas testing ensure that the leak does not create a concentration greater than 25% of the LEL at any source of ignition. Exhaust is increased and established as a baseline to the level to ensure this.
Since the potential leak points for the tracer gas injection during the test will be in close proximity to the solenoids, and the Engineer considers the solenoids to be potential sources of ignition, the exhaust rate required will be extreme, likely beyond the capacity of the ducting of the system and the end user facility.

The Engineer at the evaluating contractor has suggested that we have a Class I Div 2 area in the case of this worst case leak, and that we should use the definition of source of ignition from the NEC.
I suggested that solenoids are not ignition sources per the code, but he does not agree.

The solenoids are linked here: http://content2.smcetech.com/pdf/S070.pdf
These are not listed or marked for Class I Div 2, but I do not think that they need to be per code and other references, including several in this forum.

I sent the note below to make my argument:
Class I Div 2 allows devices that do not spark, such as those identified in 2011 NEC, Article 501, Section III, Equipment.
Of these, of interest to us, the solenoids:
"501.105 Meters Instruments and Relays
(B) Class I Division 2
(3) Without Make or Break Contacts. Transformers, windings, impedence coils, solenoids, and other windings that do not incorporate sliding or make-or-break contacts shall be provided with enclosures. General Purpose Enclosures shall be permitted."

Also:
Regarding interpretation of that section of the NEC from NFPA experts:
From Electrical Installations in Hazardous Locations, by Peter Schram and Mark Earley, published by the NFPA:
"In a Class 1 Division 2 location....solenoids without arcing or sliding contacts may be installed in general purpose enclosures; their lack of contacts makes them incapable of igniting a hazardous atmosphere"
from: https://books.google.com/books?id=o4...cts%22&f=false

None of this has so far convinced the Engineer, but he has promised to keep an open mind and look at whatever we send.
I'm curious if anyone here any further documentation or publicly available information or references regarding the use of "ordinary location" solenoids in Class 1 Div 2 area.

Comments are also welcome!

Thanks,
Mike

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We have a project in progress that utilizes a large number of miniature pneumatic solenoids in a potentially hazardous area, if there were a leak of a flammable gas.
The enclosure/area has not been formally identified as a Class I Div. 2 area per NFPA 497 or otherwise.
The area is within a high purity piping system in a well ventilated enclosure, provided with "adequate protections against failure" (exhaust failure interlocks to turn off gas sources and turn off all power to the devices within the box). It is also provided with gas detection. The solenoids are pilots for SS diaphragm valves.

We are in the process of having the nearly completed systems evaluated to SEMI S6, a semiconductor equipment standard, by a third party contractor.
The standard primarily defines minimum exhaust rates based upon tracer gas testing to ensure a worst case toxic gas leak is captured, and also addresses flammable leaks.
It requires that leaks are considered as if the line were completely severed and the full capacity of the gas line leaks into the enclosure. It then requires that the tracer gas testing ensure that the leak does not create a concentration greater than 25% of the LEL at any source of ignition. Exhaust is increased and established as a baseline to the level to ensure this.
Since the potential leak points for the tracer gas injection during the test will be in close proximity to the solenoids, and the Engineer considers the solenoids to be potential sources of ignition, the exhaust rate required will be extreme, likely beyond the capacity of the ducting of the system and the end user facility.

The Engineer at the evaluating contractor has suggested that we have a Class I Div 2 area in the case of this worst case leak, and that we should use the definition of source of ignition from the NEC.
I suggested that solenoids are not ignition sources per the code, but he does not agree.

The solenoids are linked here: http://content2.smcetech.com/pdf/S070.pdf
These are not listed or marked for Class I Div 2, but I do not think that they need to be per code and other references, including several in this forum.

I sent the note below to make my argument:
Class I Div 2 allows devices that do not spark, such as those identified in 2011 NEC, Article 501, Section III, Equipment.
Of these, of interest to us, the solenoids:
"501.105 Meters Instruments and Relays
(B) Class I Division 2
(3) Without Make or Break Contacts. Transformers, windings, impedence coils, solenoids, and other windings that do not incorporate sliding or make-or-break contacts shall be provided with enclosures. General Purpose Enclosures shall be permitted."

Also:
Regarding interpretation of that section of the NEC from NFPA experts:
From Electrical Installations in Hazardous Locations, by Peter Schram and Mark Earley, published by the NFPA:
"In a Class 1 Division 2 location....solenoids without arcing or sliding contacts may be installed in general purpose enclosures; their lack of contacts makes them incapable of igniting a hazardous atmosphere"
from: https://books.google.com/books?id=o4...cts%22&f=false

None of this has so far convinced the Engineer, but he has promised to keep an open mind and look at whatever we send.
I'm curious if anyone here any further documentation or publicly available information or references regarding the use of "ordinary location" solenoids in Class 1 Div 2 area.

Comments are also welcome!

Thanks,
Mike

Please confirm that you are working on a gas supply panel located in a gas cabinet such as Matheson or SemiGas.

downstream of gas cabinet

downstream of gas cabinet

Please confirm that you are working on a gas supply panel located in a gas cabinet such as Matheson or SemiGas.

This system is downstream of gas cabinet, in a system that is similar to what is commonly called a "valve manifold box".
The pressures in this system are much lower than the gas cabinet, less than 60 psi.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
This system is downstream of gas cabinet, in a system that is similar to what is commonly called a "valve manifold box".
The pressures in this system are much lower than the gas cabinet, less than 60 psi.

Ahhh, yes, VMB's. Where the careful segregation of gases by class in the main gas room(s) is blown clear to hell by having sticks for flammable, oxidizing, reducing, and poisonous gases merrily mixing together in a single enclosure for a particular tool. Or maybe they've changed that since I last designed a Fab distribution system. Why not just use a properly sized excess flow switch (EFS) where the line enters the box and be done with it? Line cut, gas off. See here for a SemiGas product. Eighth feature down in the "Mechanical Design Features and Options" box.

My opinion, and worth every penny you're paying for it, is that the engineer has moved from a "prudent man" rule to a "precautionary principle" rule. Your counter arguments are reasonable and should be duly considered. He should consider that the astoundingly high air velocities that would be required in the cabinet might very well lead to a host of operating issues related to noise and vibration. Back in my day, sticks were built with single-wall components and that may still be the case, but the really bad actors are run into and out of the box in coax on either side of the stick.

maybe I should have asked this more simply

maybe I should have asked this more simply

Thanks Gadfly56.

So, it's possible that I put too much information in my post, and bored the heck out of most readers.
I should have simply asked:

Is it acceptable to install solenoids in a Class I Division 2 location even though they are not specifically listed for such use?

The solenoids I am interested in using are linked here: http://content2.smcetech.com/pdf/S070.pdf

Has anyone had any specific experience with solenoids such as this and any approvals from AHJs or inspectors for such installations?

Mike

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You didn't bore me - I read the whole OP. I just don't have experience with this particular application.

• Is it acceptable to install solenoids in a Class I Division 2 location even though they are not specifically listed for such use?
YES. You have already cited the proper Section for application [501.105(B)(3)]. Also see Section 500.8(C)(6)(a) which indicates no marking for Division 2 is required.​

They're fine

• Has anyone had any specific experience with solenoids such as this and any approvals from AHJs or inspectors for such installations?
Not with those specifically, but plenty of experience with solenoid applications in hazardous locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.