Flame resistant clothing required in hazardous locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I just got an email from work it relayed an email from a customer stating that in the future anyone working on their site in a classified area will be required to wear flame-resistant clothing. I guess the theory is that you get blown up you won't catch on fire.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I just got an email from work it relayed an email from a customer stating that in the future anyone working on their site in a classified area will be required to wear flame-resistant clothing. I guess the theory is that you get blown up you won't catch on fire.

Rock Island Arsenal?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
FR has been required for work in areas where a flash fire may occur for many years in the chemical plants around here. I believe OSHA only requires it in Division 1 areas, but the plants around here require it for both Division 1 and 2.
Note that the standard for flash fire FR clothing is not the same as the one for arc flash (AR). NFPA 2112 applies to the FR clothes for flash fire protection, and NFPA 70E applies to the AR clothing. Most if not all AR garments are also suitable for FR protection, but the reverse is not true.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
FR has been required for work in areas where a flash fire may occur for many years in the chemical plants around here. I believe OSHA only requires it in Division 1 areas, but the plants around here require it for both Division 1 and 2.
Note that the standard for flash fire FR clothing is not the same as the one for arc flash (AR). NFPA 2112 applies to the FR clothes for flash fire protection, and NFPA 70E applies to the AR clothing. Most if not all AR garments are also suitable for FR protection, but the reverse is not true.

When I worked for Hercules, our FR lab coats were simply laundered with an FR compound; might have been a borate of some kind.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Years ago in a safety class they showed us a video about this guy who survived being blown up. His polyester clothing melted to his skin and made the process of debriding very difficult and painful. After seeing that, I've never considered wearing anything to work except 100% cotton which is naturally fire resistant. The short sleeve, button up uniform shirts I wear and give to employees are 100% cotton. Very hard to find for some reason. I also carry an official long sleeve level 1 FR shirt in my hot work gear pack. (I never work anything hot above 240v 400 amp.)

Debride: To remove dead, contaminated, or adherent tissue and/or foreign material. To debride a wound is to remove all materials that may promote infection and impede healing.

csc_wyo

Occupation
EI&C Engineer - Oil & Gas/Heavy Industry

FRC in the O&G is as standard as wearing your undies...well, for most of us. Not sure what industry you're referring to, but if the facility is primarily processing/handling a flammable gas/liquid, FRC's should always be required when working inside the facility, IMHO.

MAC702

Whose definition of "flame-resistant" are they using?

Status
Not open for further replies.