cable glands in a z purged enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This project is for a small ethanol distilling process skid. The actual amount of ethanol in the process is small...a couple of gallons at most. Since ethanol vapor is heavier than air, it would tend to settle near the floor. Also, the pumps for the process are located near the floor. That was the reasoning for the C1D1 classification below 18 inches.
I forgot to add... The skid will be located in an enclosed space that is ventilated.
As I mentioned in Post #17, depending on the level of ventilation, this current description appears to be Class I, Division 2 throughout.

Since over-classifiying is not in and of itself a safety issue, it's OK but far more expensive than necessary. (That's why we have Division 2) Introducing explosionproof boundary seals, more restrictive wiring methods and enclosures types below the 18" demarcation will be a big deal.

kchap

As I mentioned in Post #17, depending on the level of ventilation, this current description appears to be Class I, Division 2 throughout.

Since over-classifiying is not in and of itself a safety issue, it's OK but far more expensive than necessary. (That's why we have Division 2) Introducing explosionproof boundary seals, more restrictive wiring methods and enclosures types below the 18" demarcation will be a big deal.

I agree. But since this is a prototype, I am willing to err on the side of caution. Dependimg on what the AHJ says at installation, I may push to have future iterations of this system de-rated.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I completely do not believe he (OP) can "do whatever he wants" in Petersona post you endorsed.

I didn't say he could do whatever he wanted to. The only post I made that might even have been remotely construed to say something like that was in regards to how he supplied the control drawings. Are you claiming that supplying them on a CD is not permitted?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I didn't say he could do whatever he wanted to. The only post I made that might even have been remotely construed to say something like that was in regards to how he supplied the control drawings. Are you claiming that supplying them on a CD is not permitted?
He does not read for comprehension.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I agree. But since this is a prototype, I am willing to err on the side of caution. Dependimg on what the AHJ says at installation, I may push to have future iterations of this system de-rated.
That's fine. As I said it's not a safety issue. But Building Official AHJ's are among the poorest evaluator's; they routinely over-classifiy, "just to be safe". They are, however, usually fine after someone qualified to determine the classifications has documented them [See Section 501.4(A) & (B)]. Fire marshals and insurers are occasionally OK but, outside of qualified consultants, none of the others mentioned actually has any incentive to not overspend your money.

He does not read for comprehension.

Thanks rbalex I'm more concerned with smart phone misspelling my intent than comprehensive you are exactly correct. You both are excellent.

kchap you will need BC fire extinguisher on the inside of exit door. Dolomite for the polar solvent or foam. We use methonal for well injection to wash the rocks in the formation produce longer life for our production control center and polar solvent is denurtuer with water.

Rather than lift with ESP (electric submersible pumps) then the Petro (oil) floats on top of the water and we lift with gas injection pressure.

But you kchap should consider becoming a lab with extordinar business acumen. Testing and proving E10 , E15, E85. You are on your way. Print the MSDS sheet for all the particulars ethonal has a very low vapor pressure meaning flammability is noting to play with and we don't want run_off in our ponds.

Cable glands

Cable glands

I use BEBCO 5500 Z purges if you install and seal at the glands you will definitely have a tighter enclosure. Easier to mark your dry air and not start stop the compressor so much energy is used on non continuous loads (*less than 3 hours).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thanks rbalex I'm more concerned with smart phone misspelling my intent than comprehensive you are exactly correct. You both are excellent.

kchap you will need BC fire extinguisher on the inside of exit door. Dolomite for the

But you kchap should consider becoming a lab with extordinar business acumen. Testing and proving E10 , E15, E85. You are on your way. Print the MSDS sheet for all the particulars ethonal has a very low vapor pressure meaning flammability is noting to play with and we don't want run_off in our ponds.
I thought that high vapor pressure (low boiling point) was associated with volatility, and with that flammability.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You are Golden in that annotation. I must have been just reviewing the MSDS prior to asking kchap to include it in his documentation package in the above post and looked at auto ignition temperature cross wise on my little screen.

Now I see the autoignition temp for ethanol is much higher 793 F: petroleum based gasoline fuels between 536 F and 853F.

Last edited:
I thought that high vapor pressure (low boiling point) was associated with volatility, and with that flammability.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Turns out 5.95 kPa vapor pressure for pure ethanol and about 173 F boiling point. Evidently the data recovered indicates as a comparison to water , would also be considered:
" very low vapor pressure." However point well taken since the molecular structure of both ethanol and methanol are considered weak they can break away to 'vapor' at a lower than usual temperature since fewer (1 hydrogen) has to be overcome.

Golddigger: Above where I found ethanol boiling point and used the word 'pure' to describe ethanol boiling point it turns out ethanol has a limit of 95.6 % ethanol and 4.4% water after distillation which is kchap pilot project and the boiling point.

Status
Not open for further replies.