No announcement yet.

cable in conduit cable end seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responding to Post #72. In that case they would’ve used the word recommended not approved, since approved is an NEC defined term and they would be using it improperly. BTW, UL considers manufacturers notes, labels, and instructions as part of their listing.

Look, I’m tired of playing your semantic games. I am neither your AHJ nor your babysitter nor am I responsible for anything you do. I have given you the best advice you are going to get from anyone else. If you want to slip a non-compliant installation past your real AHJ go for it, I can’t stop you. I would, however be happy to testify against you (as an expert witness BTW) in court.

I doubt if I will respond to you again.
    [COLOR=black]"Bob"[/COLOR]
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by rbalex View Post
      Responding to Post #72. In that case they would’ve used the word recommended not approved, since approved is an NEC defined term and they would be using it improperly. BTW, UL considers manufacturers notes, labels, and instructions as part of their listing.

Look, I’m tired of playing your semantic games. I am neither your AHJ nor your babysitter nor am I responsible for anything you do. I have given you the best advice you are going to get from anyone else. If you want to slip a non-compliant installation past your real AHJ go for it, I can’t stop you. I would, however be happy to testify against you (as an expert witness BTW) in court.

30 Minutes ago, one of our E/I inspectors walked into the engineering trailer here on site and asked me 'what's the best way to seal a twisted pair #16, shielded cable within a conduit terminating at an instrument in CID1 area'...not kidding.

I told him I'd get back with him... as you might imagine, putting together quite an email based on the above string.

Comment

d**n, sorry. i'm not asking for information to be able to argue with an ahj, if they ever want anything more robust i will absolutely comply without argument (believe it or not), i'm not actually arguing to use an inferior product i actually believe it is the absolute best choice if i thought there was better i would rather use the better
        Last edited by Wire-Smith; 06-02-18, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale001289 View Post
          30 Minutes ago, one of our E/I inspectors walked into the engineering trailer here on site and asked me 'what's the best way to seal a twisted pair #16, shielded cable within a conduit terminating at an instrument in CID1 area'...not kidding.

I told him I'd get back with him... as you might imagine, putting together quite an email based on the above string.
          don't use TSC

Comment

Look, I’m tired of playing your semantic games. I am neither your AHJ nor your babysitter nor am I responsible for anything you do. .
            i understand. i agree. thanks for the information you have given, no hard feelings from this side

Comment

Originally posted by Dale001289 View Post

how have they done it there in the past?

Comment

in case anyone was interested, i found where crouse hinds says to use TSC for end sealing cables not in cable glands

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...digest2014.pdf

"G. Cable Sealing.In Class I, Division 1 locations the use of cable, except types MI,MC-HL and ITC-HL, is limited to installation in conduit.Multiconductor cables that cannot transmit gases through the cores aresealed as single conductors; this type of cable, however, is not readilyavailable. If a cable can transmit gases through its core, the outer jacketmust be removed so that the sealing compound surrounds eachindividual insulated conductor and the jacket, or it can be sealed as asingle conductor if the cable end in the enclosure is sealed by anapproved means. Crouse-Hinds TSC epoxy is such a means."

i am going to try out the self adhesive lined heat shrink though.

Comment

Working...
                X