Class 1 Div 1 Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket M

I have a 250 HP motor in a Class 1 Div 1 location . The motor is on a large mixing tank and the motor moves up and down about three feet repeatedly.The problem i have is i can't find a Cable that allows for this.
All the Cable that is rated for inshore use is flexable is for installation not for repetitve movement, armor clad. All the cable rated for the repetitve move Class 1 Div1 is for offshore Marine use, Oil rigs when it is use inshore it loses its Class 1 Div 1 rating. Per every manufacture i have talked to.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
We have some "Hazardous" experts on the Forum, be patient :)

Dale001289

I have a 250 HP motor in a Class 1 Div 1 location . The motor is on a large mixing tank and the motor moves up and down about three feet repeatedly.The problem i have is i can't find a Cable that allows for this.
All the Cable that is rated for inshore use is flexable is for installation not for repetitve movement, armor clad. All the cable rated for the repetitve move Class 1 Div1 is for offshore Marine use, Oil rigs when it is use inshore it loses its Class 1 Div 1 rating. Per every manufacture i have talked to.

If you can maintain bend radius during normal operation, you might be able to use MC-HL cable. Unfortunately you don't have many choices in CID1.
I'd double check the area classification drawings to make sure the motor actually falls within Division 1.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You may have broader options than you think. Start in Section 501.10(A)(2). You may be directed to Section 501.140 which offer some specific cable types as well as specific installation requirements.

Rocket M

I saw that but in 501.140 (B) (1) is where i get stuck. I can't find a large VFD cable rated extra hard usage. FLA 323

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I saw that but in 501.140 (B) (1) is where i get stuck. I can't find a large VFD cable rated extra hard usage. FLA 323
You could have put that little VFD (ASD) tid-bit on your original post. Nevertheless, the answer is the same. Although TC-ER-HL with sectioned EGCs may now become your best bet. [501.10(A)(2)(3)] You are under the Coast Guard so the 2017 NEC should be acceptable and sell TC-ER-HL as extrahard usage under Section 500.8(A). Some DLO cables may also be "Suitable". Last but not least, have the ASD manufacture specify the brand, not just the type.

Status
Not open for further replies.