What defines the boundaries of a Class I div. II location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blugrs77

Imagine if you will a 12'x12' raised slab that houses a vertical propane tank and dispensing pump. This is outdoors. The slab sits approximately 10-12 ft from the building. The customer has previously installed 3/4" PVC Sched. 80 running in a trench from building to slab. I am trying to determine if this is acceptable. Obviously we have to change to rigid but I am unsure of any portion of this can be in PVC. I guess more specifically I am trying to find out what defines the boundary of the hazardous area? I have been pouring through Art. 500 and can't seem to find it. Open for guidance. Thank you.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Imagine if you will a 12'x12' raised slab that houses a vertical propane tank and dispensing pump. This is outdoors. The slab sits approximately 10-12 ft from the building. The customer has previously installed 3/4" PVC Sched. 80 running in a trench from building to slab. I am trying to determine if this is acceptable. Obviously we have to change to rigid but I am unsure of any portion of this can be in PVC. I guess more specifically I am trying to find out what defines the boundary of the hazardous area? I have been pouring through Art. 500 and can't seem to find it. Open for guidance. Thank you.
You should probably be looking in Article 515 or, possibly 514, depending on the actual purpose of the installation. Read their Scopes [51X.1] carefully.

Dale001289

In addition to Bob's commentary , take a look at API 500. There are numerous details contained therein to help determine you're particular scenario - I've attached a couple of examples. Depending upon tank configuration, you may have a 5' radius of CID1 near the source, followed by another layer of Division 2 at 10' from the source. Your building is so close to the tank, there may be some 'overlap' into the Division 2 area which could become problematic if the building is not vapor tight or pressurized.
Concrete encased PVC duct banks are very common - sometimes a simple 2" red-concrete 'cap' is placed above a PVC conduit for protection. You may be better off simply running a single, rigid galvanized steel conduit from stub-up to stub-up since you're only going 10 feet or so.

Attachments

• API500 details.pdf
    99.4 KB · Views: 1

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
You should probably be looking in Article 515 or, possibly 514, depending on the actual purpose of the installation. Read their Scopes [51X.1] carefully.

Which I can't see anything that requires the underground portion to be classified. Only open area below the tank radius.

Dale001289

What defines the boundaries of a Class I div. II location?

Which I can't see anything that requires the underground portion to be classified. Only open area below the tank radius.

See 514.8 and 515.8 - underground itself is unclassified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.