open paint spray area - explosion proof outlet requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

If the bldg. has an open paint spray area and there are both power and data outlets
located within the area, should these outlets need to be explosion proof type?
this seems odd, especially the data outlets. I am not sure they make one?
Are there any exceptions from code? Thank you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You need to define the classified area limits to know what type of equipment needs to be installed. Take a look at Article 516. The area can be extensive.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If the bldg. has an open paint spray area and there are both power and data outlets

Before you go slapping XP devices around the place, someone needs to formally decide what the area classification is so the proper boundaries can be established.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I never heard fo an XP data outlet but they do make IS barriers that work on such circuits.

having said that, what would you be able to plug into a comm link in a classified area anyway? there are such things available but not real cheap.

anbm

You need to define the classified area limits to know what type of equipment needs to be installed. Take a look at Article 516. The area can be extensive.

The whole space is considering open spray area with cranes moving back and forth above, so I assume class 1, div. 1 area?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The whole space is considering open spray area with cranes moving back and forth above, so I assume class 1, div. 1 area?

What are you spraying? Latex paints? Oil-based? What is the volume of VOC's generated per unit time? What is the area/volume of the spray operations compared to the area/volume of the whole space? What is the interior volume? You can just say Class I Div 1, but then you probably can't do a lot of what you're doing right now.

anbm

What are you spraying? Latex paints? Oil-based? What is the volume of VOC's generated per unit time? What is the area/volume of the spray operations compared to the area/volume of the whole space? What is the interior volume? You can just say Class I Div 1, but then you probably can't do a lot of what you're doing right now.

What is your point? Will any of the creterias
you listed above make us get away from
installing explosionproof outlets?

What is your point? Will any of the creterias you listed above make us get away from installing explosionproof outlets?

Yes, certainly. Not all paints will form an explosive atmosphere, and the other criteria will determine extent of area. Maybe your outlets will be in a Div 2 area, or outside the hazardous area completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.