Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

open paint spray area - explosion proof outlet requirement?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    open paint spray area - explosion proof outlet requirement?

    If the bldg. has an open paint spray area and there are both power and data outlets
    located within the area, should these outlets need to be explosion proof type?
    this seems odd, especially the data outlets. I am not sure they make one?
    Are there any exceptions from code? Thank you.

    #2
    You need to define the classified area limits to know what type of equipment needs to be installed. Take a look at Article 516. The area can be extensive.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by anbm View Post
      If the bldg. has an open paint spray area and there are both power and data outlets
      located within the area, should these outlets need to be explosion proof type?
      this seems odd, especially the data outlets. I am not sure they make one?
      Are there any exceptions from code? Thank you.
      Before you go slapping XP devices around the place, someone needs to formally decide what the area classification is so the proper boundaries can be established.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by anbm View Post
        If the bldg. has an open paint spray area and there are both power and data outlets
        located within the area, should these outlets need to be explosion proof type?
        this seems odd, especially the data outlets. I am not sure they make one?
        Are there any exceptions from code? Thank you.
        I never heard fo an XP data outlet but they do make IS barriers that work on such circuits.

        having said that, what would you be able to plug into a comm link in a classified area anyway? there are such things available but not real cheap.
        Bob

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
          You need to define the classified area limits to know what type of equipment needs to be installed. Take a look at Article 516. The area can be extensive.
          The whole space is considering open spray area with cranes moving back and forth above, so I assume class 1, div. 1 area?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by anbm View Post
            The whole space is considering open spray area with cranes moving back and forth above, so I assume class 1, div. 1 area?
            What are you spraying? Latex paints? Oil-based? What is the volume of VOC's generated per unit time? What is the area/volume of the spray operations compared to the area/volume of the whole space? What is the interior volume? You can just say Class I Div 1, but then you probably can't do a lot of what you're doing right now.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
              What are you spraying? Latex paints? Oil-based? What is the volume of VOC's generated per unit time? What is the area/volume of the spray operations compared to the area/volume of the whole space? What is the interior volume? You can just say Class I Div 1, but then you probably can't do a lot of what you're doing right now.
              What is your point? Will any of the creterias
              you listed above make us get away from
              installing explosionproof outlets?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by anbm View Post
                What is your point? Will any of the creterias you listed above make us get away from installing explosionproof outlets?
                Yes, certainly. Not all paints will form an explosive atmosphere, and the other criteria will determine extent of area. Maybe your outlets will be in a Div 2 area, or outside the hazardous area completely.

                Comment

                Working...
                X