Class I Div 2 Motor Termination / VFD cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhee2

I have a motor installation in a Class I, Div 2 area. The motor is 'CSA certified' Class I, Div 2 (according to data sheet) with no sparking devices. By 501.125(B), this should be acceptable. It is fed by Type TC-ER VFD cable that is listed for use in Div 2. Based on 501.15(E)(1), I don't believe I need a seal at the motor termination, since the equipment is not required to be explosion-proof. Am I reading this correctly? So that any standard tray cable gland would be sufficient?

Also, where this is a shielded VFD cable, I am thinking the jacket is stripped in the peckerhead (after the cable gland), prepped per the cable mfr guidance, and landed in the equipment ground lug at the box. Does this sound correct?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Also, where this is a shielded VFD cable, I am thinking the jacket is stripped in the peckerhead (after the cable gland), prepped per the cable mfr guidance, and landed in the equipment ground lug at the box. Does this sound correct?

There are several manufacturers who make special glands that bond to the outside of the VFD cable to the shield made especially for this purpose. Much cleaner.

https://www.anixter.com/content/dam/Suppliers/Belden/Brochures/VFD_Cable_Termination_Guide.pdf

paul_arc

I have a motor installation in a Class I, Div 2 area. The motor is 'CSA certified' Class I, Div 2 (according to data sheet) with no sparking devices. By 501.125(B), this should be acceptable. It is fed by Type TC-ER VFD cable that is listed for use in Div 2. Based on 501.15(E)(1), I don't believe I need a seal at the motor termination, since the equipment is not required to be explosion-proof. Am I reading this correctly? So that any standard tray cable gland would be sufficient?

I have installed several TMCX connectors with TECK cable in hazardous locations. They work great but maybe overkill for your application. I have never used the VFD cable your talking about so you'll need to do some research to see if they are compatible, or if Crouse-Hinds has something for your cable. But it's a place to start looking.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...mouredbarrierandnon-armouredbarriergland.html

Status
Not open for further replies.