2017 514.11 (a) neutral breaker requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate00

I have been tasked with providing a disconnect and neutral breaker for a fuel dispenser pump at work. I understand all the requirements except when it comes to disconnecting the neutral. The 2014 n.e.c. 514.11 (a) states that the grounded conductor must shut off with all conductors. In the 2017 code under 514.11 (a) I do not see this requirement anymore. The only answer I have found is kneejerk reactions of people saying the neutral has to be disconnected. I would agree if I apply the 2014 code but wanted to know what you guys think of the 2017 requirement? I know I have to use the correct version of n.e.c. for the a.h.j. just looking for thoughts. Thank you

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The 2017 code dropped the neutral disconnect requirement when the requirement was changed from a general disconnect requirement to an emergency disconnect requirement. The language was extracted from NPFA 30A and inserted into the NEC. The issue is that an emergency disconnect is not required to disconnect a grounded conductor. A service disconnect needs to disconnect the grounded circuit conductor to eliminate the possibility of an accidental grounded conductor to earth contact creating a spark while the equipment is being serviced and there is a possibility that the service work would create an flammable atmosphere.

The deletion of the requirement in the 2017 was unintentional and the first draft report shows it being restored for the 2020 code.

it would be code compliant under the 2017 code to not install a grounded conductor disconnect, however, if I were doing the work, I would install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.