Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hazardous Location and Intrinsically Safe Barrier Requirement for Simple Apparatus'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hazardous Location and Intrinsically Safe Barrier Requirement for Simple Apparatus'

Have a question I have been mulling around for a while now.

There is an explosion proof motor located in a Class I Division 1 location, the motor has RTDs (simple apparatus) for winding temperature monitoring. Are the RTDs required to pass through an intrinsically safe barrier, or is it exempt from that protection technique because it is located within an explosion proof motor.

The same question would go for submersible pump with leak and overtemp detection. Pump is explosion proof but there are simple apparatus' within it.

I have trouble understanding whether devices protected by one protection technique (explosion proof) would have to comply with another (IS).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

The simplest response is the motor enclosure is irrelevant. Unless the "simple apparatus" is installed in accordance with a control drawing [Section 504.10(A)], it isn't part of an IS installation. If it is installed in accordance with a control drawing, then any suitable wiring method [Section 504.20] (subject to proper sealing and separation) is acceptable.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Working...
    X