Pouring conduit seal offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red gypsy

Recently at work a coworker and i have had a discrepancy about how to pour sealoffs. He believes that a Crouse Hinds eysx seal off (http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...fillexplosionproofconduitsealingfittings.html) used in a vertical application only has to be filled 1/3rd the way up the seal off so when you remove the plug you can visually inspect it to see that the wires have been separated. I however pour until i can visually see the sealing compound reach the small plug. I have looked online for manufactures instructions on how to properly pour them and i have not found much in regards to the proper amount to put in the seal off. If anyone with a little more knowledge on the subject could help us out it would greatly be appreciated.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Checking with the manufacturer's instructions is a good ideal; however, see Section 501.15(C)(3).

Red gypsy

Thank you for your response, I read section 501.15 (c)(3) and from what i have gathered it requires that it shall not be less then the trade size used. In our case it was inch and a half so i believe from the fiber dam to the top of the sealing compound it should measure the trade size we used of 1 1/2". And in no case should it ever be below 5/8 of an inch. Again thank you for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.