wall-mounted electric heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpaluch777

Comment and advice, please. I would like to install a heater to blow warm air into a shower enclosure. The enclosure walls are 6 ft high, in a room with a 10 ft ceiling. The room air flowing over the enclosure is much cooler than the air rising from the enclosure from heating by the hot water spray. So, it's quite chilly if you're not standing in the spray. I'm considering mounting a forced-air heater on the wall above the shower head, about 8 ft above the shower pan. The unit would blow heated air into the enclosure, and would be controlled by a wall switch outside the enclosure. So far, I've found a unit made by Stiebel-Eltron (CK15E) that might work. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions for other units and/or installation considerations?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: wall-mounted electric heater

I see by your profile that you are "retired." Before we go too far, could you tell me what you are retired from?

Water and electricity do not mix. If this must be done, I would select a 120V unit, and GFI protect it whether the instructions call for it or not.

But I hope there is a better solution than placing a heater over the shower head, that's troubling.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: wall-mounted electric heater

2005 NEC
424.12 Locations
(B) Damp or Wet Locations
Heaters and related equipment installed in damp or wet locations shall be listed for such locations and shall be constructed and installed so that water or other liquids cannot enter or accumulate in or on wired sections, electrical components, or ductwork.
The installation instructions for the CK15 make no mention of listing for damp or wet, which, in my experience means the CK15 is not so listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.