Marshalling Panel In Class 1 Division 2 Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcheser

I am placing some marshalling cabinets in an outdoor environment that is rated Class 1 Division 2. The marshalling cabinets are general purpose Nema 4 enclosures that will only have terminals in them. Do they need to be purged or have any other type of protection?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Marshalling Panel In Class 1 Division 2 Location

No. See 501.4(B)(4).

Edit Add: See also the referenced Sections: 501.3(B)(4),501.6(B)(1), and 501.14(B)(1).

[ March 31, 2005, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

dcheser

Thanks for the input Bob you confirmed my initial thoughts. When in doubt I always like to have a second opinion.

Thanks Again,
D Cheser
Electrical Engineer

abusaleh

Do you mean to say that if the box is used for termination or splicing only, it does not need to be classified? Some people interpret teh code in a manner that these terminations are a source of heat when there is a loose wire and hence need to be classified. What is your opinion on this interpretation? Regards.

friebel

I can assure you that "rbalex" is correct when he told you that you can have marshalling cabinets in a Class 1, Division 2, Groups A,B,C, or D area.
I worked in the Chemical industry for 45 years, and we did this many times.
I would put a marshalling cabinet on each floor of the building and then run multi-conductor cables from my electrical/instrument control room.
Then we could then run from the marshalling cabinet to the respective equipment, such as a solenoid valve, pressure switch, level switch, etc.It certainly is a very cost-effective way of doing a project.
For example, when you install your multi-conductor cable from your Elect./Inst. control room, you would make sure that you put plenty of spare wires, so when you have an added switch, etc., you would just need to run from the marshalling cabinet that you had installed on each floor. I always found this to be very cost-effective way to do a project.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

I appreciate friebel's confirming experience.

abusaleh,

If the application were a ?classic? IEC installation, terminations would indeed be considered arc-making and would require that they either be Type ?Ex e? (increased safety) or be installed in an ?Ex d? (flameproof) enclosure.

The NEC does not generally consider terminations or splices to be arcing, sparking or heat-producing and anyone who "interprets" it otherwise is in error; although see 501.5(A)(1)(2) in the 2002 NEC for a Division 1 application.

[ May 02, 2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

Status
Not open for further replies.