Class ?, Div. ? Rating of Digital Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihinojosajr

Anyone know where I can locate the ratings of digital cameras? In particular Kodak DX3900, DX6440.... I have tried contacting the mfg. but of course they responded with, WHAT IS THAT? WE DONT DO THAT..

Thanks in advance,
ijh

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Class ?, Div. ? Rating of Digital Cameras

This one is ? difficult.

Because they are not part of an "installation," for a long time it was CMP 14?s opinion such devices do not fall under their scope. There has been something of a transition recently and now they have a reference in the 2005 NEC to ISA-RP12.12.03 in the FPN for the definition of Electrical and Electronic Equipment in Article 500. Note, by implication, they may only be used in Class I and II, Division and Zone 2 or Class III locations

lile001

The best way is to locate these devices outside the classified areas by "excercise of ingenuity". Of course that is easy to say but not always easy to do. For example, the camera could be behind a glass window located in an adjacent space that is not classified, or located high up in a structure above classified areas. I don't think you an argue that the camera is intrinsically safe, especially if there is a panning motor on it. If the manufacturer has never heard of it, then it is classified as normal equipment.

friebel

To: ihinojosajr, you do not mention the Class, Division, or Group area that you are going to be in with your camera.
I worked in a chemical plant for 45 years and this is how I would handle taking pictures in a electrical classified area.
First, I do not know of any camera that has a electrical classified designation.
Second, If I was in a Class 1, Div. 2, Group, A,B,C,D, I would have an explosion test meter at the site monitoring the area where I would be taking pictures. As you are aware, that in a Class 1-2-A,B,C,or D,area there will not be any hazardous materials, unless there is an accidental release of materials.
Third: In a Class 1-1-A,B,C,D, at the present time I do not know what I would do except possibly have the camera in a plastic pressurized case. But, again in a Class 1-1-A,B,C,D, I would need to really study that problem

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

Well it's cute.

With the EEx (CENELEC) rather than AEx(US) certification it wouldn't be acceptable in the US - yet. Despite the US attempt to "force-fit" them, the test standards between the two systems still aren't 100% compatible.

If I were the AHJ, I personally wouldn't have a problem permitting it in a Class I, Division 2 or Zone 2 location though.

iwire

Staff member

OK Guys don't laugh, I have previously acknowledged I have little knowledge in this area. :(

That said, would it be permissible to simply place the camera in a airtight capsule? (AKA a zip lock bag)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

Actually Bob, it's a very reasonable question.

There are two basic problems:

Flash attachments where the issue is fairly obvious.

Dropping the camera has two sub-issues, where stored energy systems (batteries) may cause sparks if they or other internal connections come loose simultaneously with tearing the "baggie" and materials of construction that may spark on impact.

I have a calculator and a cell phone that are specifically certified for Class I, Division 2, Groups A, B, C, and D. My watch and hearing aid, which I also use routinely in Division 2 are not. Luckily, I don't need a pacemaker.

CMP14 has been dancing around this issue ("personal" electronics) for several cycles now, especially with the advent of cell-phones. For now, I can only refer to the FPN I mentioned in mt first response, I don't have a clear picture of the trends.

[ April 27, 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

Status
Not open for further replies.