Retractable extensoin cords in automotive repair shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouchard79

A customer of mine has several retractable service lights that are hanging from the ceiling. He would like to install them on the wall and replace the light with a receptacle end to use for shop equiptment.Would this installation be o.k. if they were installed with GFCI protection and water-tight cord ends? Or since the cord end could be below 18" it would be considered in an hazardous location?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Retractable extensoin cords in automotive repair shop

The classification of the area does not change any based on whether the retractable cord has a light on it or an outlet.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

I had to read Bob's reply a couple of times and he'd right, the electrical area classification is unchanged.

The cords would need to be extra-hard usage, rather than weatherproof. See 501.11 for some additional requirements. For receptacles and plugs see 501.12. (Be careful you understand what "identified" means.) GFCI's are irrelevant; they still permit minimum ignition energy for gasoline volatiles.

charlie

511.4(B)(2) Portable Lighting Equipment. Portable lighting equipment shall be equipped with handle, lampholder, hook, and substantial guard attached to the lampholder or handle. All exterior surfaces that might come in contact with battery terminals, wiring terminals, or other objects shall be of nonconducting material or shall be effectively protected with insulation. Lampholders shall be of an unswitched type and shall not provide means for plug-in of attachment plugs. The outer shell shall be of molded composition or other suitable material. Unless the lamp and its cord are supported or arranged in such a manner that they cannot be used in the locations classified in 511.3, they shall be of a type identified for Class I, Division 1 locations.

lile001

We saw a situation where the pendant mounted lights were not explosionproof type. We solved it by insisting that the lights be set so that cannot enter the hazardous classified area 18" off the floor, which frustrates the poor mechanics. It is better to use the right kind of light, with the right area classification. Most Garages don't put in much explosionproof equipment, they just mount everything four feet off the floor.

john m. caloggero

I can drive my car into the garage with an alternator, starter, catalytic converter, door switches,plus the mechanic and customer have a lighted pipe or cigar in their mouth. But any equipment up to 18" from the floor must be suitable for Class I, Div 2. This was necessary in the old days when gasoline leaks were common, but now-adays????

charlie

John, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the old days. I remember using gasoline in an open container to clean parts on the bench and on the floor. I have also seen gasoline used to clean the outside of an engine off in places. After thinking about that, I wonder why I am still here since my favorite pass time was to go down to the service station to hang out?

Any more, most places will not permit the customer to go into the area where the mechanic is working . . . good idea. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.