Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

514.11 Emergency electrical disconnect sign information

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    514.11 Emergency electrical disconnect sign information

    I can't seem to find the specs/size on the required emergency electrical disconnect sign for NEC 2017 514.11(A). I remember reading it a couple of months ago. (2" block letters on contrasting background) Any help would be appreciated.

    #2
    514.11 Circuit Disconnects.
    (A) General. Each circuit leading to or through dispensing
    equipment, including all associated power, communications,
    data, and video circuits, and equipment for remote
    pumping systems, shall be provided with a clearly identified
    and readily accessible switch or other approved means,
    located remote from the dispensing devices, to disconnect
    simultaneously from the source of supply, all conductors of
    the circuits, including the grounded conductor, if any.
    Single-pole breakers utilizing handle ties shall not be
    permitted.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by dkidd View Post
      514.11 Circuit Disconnects.
      (A) General. Each circuit leading to or through dispensing equipment, including all associated power, communications, data, and video circuits, and equipment for remote pumping systems, shall be provided with a clearly identified and readily accessible switch or other approved means, located remote from the dispensing devices, to disconnect simultaneously from the source of supply, all conductors of the circuits, including the grounded conductor, if any. Single-pole breakers utilizing handle ties shall not be permitted.
      How remote is remote? The local Kroger gas'n'grocery has the emergency shutoff (a big, red button) on the front of the moneytaker's building, I'd say no more than 20' from the nearest pump.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by stevenje View Post
        I can't seem to find the specs/size on the required emergency electrical disconnect sign for NEC 2017 514.11(A). I remember reading it a couple of months ago. (2" block letters on contrasting background) Any help would be appreciated.
        Apparently NEC 514.11 requirements were derived from NFPA 30A: 6.7.2, so there might be more info on signage in NFPA documents:

        http://www.electricallicenserenewal....ectionID=345.0

        Some have noted that the 2017 language does not explicitly mention a requirement to disconnect grounded conductors as in the 2014 version.


        Comment


          #5
          I found the answer to my question and thought that I would pass it on.

          2017 NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code 6.30.4 Redundant Fail-Safe Product Control.

          6.30.4.3(C) Emergency remote shutdown stations shall be identified a such by a sign incorporating the words "Propane" and "Emergency Shutoff" in block letters not less than 2 in. (51 mm) in height on a background of contrasting color to the letters. The sign shall be visible from the point of transfer.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by PaulMmn View Post

            How remote is remote? The local Kroger gas'n'grocery has the emergency shutoff (a big, red button) on the front of the moneytaker's building, I'd say no more than 20' from the nearest pump.
            514.11(A) - "not less than 20 feet or more than 100 feet."

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by stevenje View Post
              I found the answer to my question and thought that I would pass it on.

              2017 NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code 6.30.4 Redundant Fail-Safe Product Control.

              6.30.4.3(C) Emergency remote shutdown stations shall be identified a such by a sign incorporating the words "Propane" and "Emergency Shutoff" in block letters not less than 2 in. (51 mm) in height on a background of contrasting color to the letters. The sign shall be visible from the point of transfer.
              I would be careful applying a Standard outside its Scope. [NFPA 58, Part 1.1] Check NFPA 30A, Chapter 9 for more applicable requirements.
              [COLOR=black]"Bob"[/COLOR]
              Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
              Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

              Comment

              Working...
              X