514.11 Emergency electrical disconnect sign information

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenje

I can't seem to find the specs/size on the required emergency electrical disconnect sign for NEC 2017 514.11(A). I remember reading it a couple of months ago. (2" block letters on contrasting background) Any help would be appreciated.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
514.11 Circuit Disconnects.
(A) General. Each circuit leading to or through dispensing
equipment, including all associated power, communications,
data, and video circuits, and equipment for remote
pumping systems, shall be provided with a clearly identified
and readily accessible switch or other approved means,
located remote from the dispensing devices, to disconnect
simultaneously from the source of supply, all conductors of
the circuits, including the grounded conductor, if any.
Single-pole breakers utilizing handle ties shall not be
permitted.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
514.11 Circuit Disconnects.
(A) General. Each circuit leading to or through dispensing equipment, including all associated power, communications, data, and video circuits, and equipment for remote pumping systems, shall be provided with a clearly identified and readily accessible switch or other approved means, located remote from the dispensing devices, to disconnect simultaneously from the source of supply, all conductors of the circuits, including the grounded conductor, if any. Single-pole breakers utilizing handle ties shall not be permitted.

How remote is remote? The local Kroger gas'n'grocery has the emergency shutoff (a big, red button) on the front of the moneytaker's building, I'd say no more than 20' from the nearest pump.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I can't seem to find the specs/size on the required emergency electrical disconnect sign for NEC 2017 514.11(A). I remember reading it a couple of months ago. (2" block letters on contrasting background) Any help would be appreciated.

Apparently NEC 514.11 requirements were derived from NFPA 30A: 6.7.2, so there might be more info on signage in NFPA documents:

http://www.electricallicenserenewal...ation-Courses/NEC-Content.php?sectionID=345.0

Some have noted that the 2017 language does not explicitly mention a requirement to disconnect grounded conductors as in the 2014 version.

stevenje

I found the answer to my question and thought that I would pass it on.

2017 NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code 6.30.4 Redundant Fail-Safe Product Control.

6.30.4.3(C) Emergency remote shutdown stations shall be identified a such by a sign incorporating the words "Propane" and "Emergency Shutoff" in block letters not less than 2 in. (51 mm) in height on a background of contrasting color to the letters. The sign shall be visible from the point of transfer.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
How remote is remote? The local Kroger gas'n'grocery has the emergency shutoff (a big, red button) on the front of the moneytaker's building, I'd say no more than 20' from the nearest pump.

514.11(A) - "not less than 20 feet or more than 100 feet."

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I found the answer to my question and thought that I would pass it on.

2017 NFPA 58 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code 6.30.4 Redundant Fail-Safe Product Control.

6.30.4.3(C) Emergency remote shutdown stations shall be identified a such by a sign incorporating the words "Propane" and "Emergency Shutoff" in block letters not less than 2 in. (51 mm) in height on a background of contrasting color to the letters. The sign shall be visible from the point of transfer.
I would be careful applying a Standard outside its Scope. [NFPA 58, Part 1.1] Check NFPA 30A, Chapter 9 for more applicable requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.