Dialysis Treatment Centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

Can someone please point me in the right direction of correctly designing the wiring system in a dialysis treatment center?
I looked at one yesterday and found alot of mc cable and emt damaged in the crawlspace from the acid running in the pipes in the crawlspace.

Thank You,

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dialysis clinics come under health care and DHHS and must be wired per article 517. In a corrosive area normal wiring methods that might be allowed in article 517 may not be sufficient and you would need to use something other than EMT and MC (which may have been a violation in its self).

As far as designing the wiring system, DHHS will require the design be done by an EE. If this is just a repair, I would suggest using RMC or IMC in the crawl space.

Roger

Ravenvalor

Dialysis clinics come under health care and DHHS and must be wired per article 517. In a corrosive area normal wiring methods that might be allowed in article 517 may not be sufficient and you would need to use something other than EMT and MC (which may have been a violation in its self).

As far as designing the wiring system, DHHS will require the design be done by an EE. If this is just a repair, I would suggest using RMC or IMC in the crawl space.

Roger

Thanks for the advice Roger. It seems like acid can eat through RMC and IMC.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks for the advice Roger. It seems like acid can eat through RMC and IMC.

You're welcome and you are right, acid can destroy RMC and IMC, which with the requirements of 517.13 it would mean you would end up having to use a PVC coated RMC (RobRoy or equivalent).

Roger

Ravenvalor

You're welcome and you are right, acid can destroy RMC and IMC, which with the requirements of 517.13 it would mean you would end up having to use a PVC coated RMC (RobRoy or equivalent).

Roger

I actually found some pvc coated mc cable rated for CLASS 1 DIVISION 2. CLASS 2 DIVISION 2, AND CLASS 3 DIVISION 1 LOCATIONS.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I actually found some pvc coated mc cable rated for CLASS 1 DIVISION 2. CLASS 2 DIVISION 2, AND CLASS 3 DIVISION 1 LOCATIONS.

But, is it listed as an EGC? Look at the manufacturers info and see if it complies with article 250.118.

Roger

Ravenvalor

I have been doing research into the wiring of dialysis treatment centers and it appears to be a hazardous environment to me but the inspector checked with the insurance commission for the state and they said that it is not.
I believe that it might be because it (acetic acid) has corroded mc cable and emt in the crawl space and walls.
17 - pieces of mc cable, and 18 - pieces of 3/4" emt have to be either replaced or the acetic acid has to be removed from them.
[I think that some of the mc cable and emt has to be coated with DTR which is an epoxy that will protect them from corrosion. The raceways that have to be cleaned will be scraped off with a wire brush. We will have to wear respirators, coveralls, and gloves.]
I am not absolutely sure that I will solve this problem in the manner that I just explained because the paint store that advised me on the treatment method did so before learning that we were dealing with acetic acid. I need to learn the proper safety procedures for working in this type of environment.
There is not pvc coated mc cable on the market rated for patient care areas, so the inspector does not see why I cannot coat the cable myself with something like DTR (which is dangerous itself).
I find it amazing that Dialysis treatment centers are not classified as hazardous environments. This center with all of its' leaky pipes must be an exception.
I will keep you posted as this project proceeds. If you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Dialysis Hemo Room - Patient Care or Critical Care?

Dialysis Hemo Room - Patient Care or Critical Care?

This is tangentially related to this topic - would you consider a dialysis treatment room a general patient care area or a critical care area as defined in Art. 517? I am not sure as to what exactly the dialysis procedure consists of (I have a general idea). If it is an "invasive" procedure, I think it should be critical, but I am hoping it is not. I guess ultimately it is up to the AHJ, but I wanted to get someone else's insight on this.

Ravenvalor

This is tangentially related to this topic - would you consider a dialysis treatment room a general patient care area or a critical care area as defined in Art. 517? I am not sure as to what exactly the dialysis procedure consists of (I have a general idea). If it is an "invasive" procedure, I think it should be critical, but I am hoping it is not. I guess ultimately it is up to the AHJ, but I wanted to get someone else's insight on this.

I believe that my research led me to the conclusion that it was a general patient care area. There are alot of corrosives around and if there is a crawlspace underneath there are corrosives there also. The corrosives will eat through metal raceway.

dbuckley

Dialysis involves connecting machines to people's blood system, which I would classify as invasive. Ok, it's not normally a needle procedure, the points of attachment (for want of a better term) are generally permanenty connected, but its still a direct-to-blood connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.